Is my ex hinting that he is 'interested' in getting back together again?

So my ex and I (who left me three months ago) have been talking a lot lately after a long 2 months of not talking. He's almost always the one to initiate the conversation (more so than we were together). He's always been a sweet guy, but he's noticed and complimented me on a bunch of things that he never has before. He's constantly asking me how I'm doing and if my answer isn't 'great' he'll push and ask what's up until I explain. I don't think he ever did that to such extent when we were together. I can't figure out why else he would be so concerned or interested in me again except that he may be interested in getting back together? He's not a very straightforward guy and from day one I was always trying to figure him out. (One of the things I found intriguing about him). Do you think he's expressing interest in me because he wants to get back together? The reason we broke up was because he said he wanted a better friendship to base our relationship on. (Although we dated for 3 months before we considered ourselves 'serious'.). Could he be ready to try again? Should I take him back?

10