Did I make a mistake?

Lets just get right to it. I met this guy at work, dated for 6 months. Had a lot of fun together even though we are complete opposites. He had always been pretty clingy and manipulative when I was tired or didn't want to hang out, he'd basically guilt trip me into doing things with him because I felt bad. He'd tell me he was depressed that he didn't see me very often, etc etc. I spent as much time with him as I possibly could, all while having my own life. Not to go out, or party or whatever...just to have some time for myself. He would cry over very small things and discussions. My parents were coming back to town (after 5 months) and I was very excited to see them! He got almost...jealous when I told him how excited I was to see them finally. He said he shouldn't have to beg me to hang out and all this nonsense. Which was ridiculous, because whenever I could, I'd go over to his MOMS house and hangout in his bedroom and watch movies, or we'd go out to eat. Super sweet guy, would do anything in the world for me. I just couldn't stand the guilt trips and crying anymore. (by the way he's 28 and I'm 24). He has never lived alone, other than when he was engaged, twice... and all in all, it just wasn't working. I felt that I couldn't ever give him the amount of time and attention that he "needs". He had an extensive surgery done about 1.5 weeks ago, I visited him in the hospital and took care of him while he was there. All while working a full-time job and doing my own errands. He is off work for 3 weeks to recover. I felt absolutely horrible about it, but I needed to end it because the stress of him constantly being so emotional was driving me nuts. I cared a lot about him, he just wasn't the right person for me.

So the point of this is... how awful is it that I broke up with him while he's recovering from surgery? Should I have waited til he recovered, all while dragging this out? I just feel horrible. He cried a lot and I just didn't know what else to do because it wasn't fair to either of us...

any type of feedback would be great.

Ive contacted him to make sure he's OK, because he does struggle with depression as well. Just a huge mess :/
He also wanted to know "what was wrong with him that he keeps getting dumped" I just told him we just didn't work as a couple and that its not really anything he's done (yes I lied, but I really didn't want to hurt him. he's super fragile...)

13

Most Helpful Guy

• He sounds crazy. Like whoa, those are biggg red flags, pump the brakes kind of crazy. Leave him. He's manipulative, jealous, controlling, and very possessive. You don't want ANY of that.