Why do people care so much about the divorce rate?

It doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen more

than few people mention in the questions when it's

about relationships. And, I wonder why people care

so much about the divorce rate (especially young

people)? And, why do people look at the statics of

why people get divorced? I'm just curious. It seems

kinda counterproductive, I mean just because there's

numerical reasoning's for why people get divorced, doesn't

mean that there wasn't bigger issue at hand.

Anyway, just wondering what everyone else thinks. Thanks.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well a lot less men are marrying nowadays and if you ask them why it's because of all the stories out there of women taking their ex-husbands stuff and just moving along. I don't see a point in marrying myself nowadays and old people tell me I'll change my mind and I can't help but pity them because they just don't see how dangerous it is nowadays for a man to get married.

It's not like the "good old days." A dual income is practically required for the typical family to survive and having kids is a luxury now yet we have girls out there deliberately getting pregnant to screw over their loved ones.

Basically what I'm gonna say in short is that there's many reasons people aren't marrying nowadays and the divorce rate is just something they point to in order to try to validate their point on why marriages don't work well in today's day and age. If you want to know the "bigger issue at hand" many men will tell you how they've been screwed over in a divorce, big time. Some women do as well, but many women out there will say they won't even date a guy who makes less money than them. These are the same women that people mention on the site will freak out if they hear the word "pre-nup."

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• The number one reason people get divorced is financial disputes. Women tend to be the catalyst behind those divorces. Men end up being the ones stuck with the bills. I'm sure that sounds like a winning situation for you, but men obviously need to factor it into our decision making process.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why would a man getting stuck paying the bills, be a winning situation for me? Plus, the whole

"money is the biggest reason people get divorced" thing is one of the reasons I don't trust numbers to tell me why people divorce. My parents have fincial troulbes and have NEVER thought of divorceing each other because of it. They just try to find a solution to the problem, together.

• Show All
    • I know it sounds cold, calculating, and seeds doubt as to if a marriage can even work with that sort of attitude going into it, but it is what it is. I true wish it wasn't, but modern women have made it so... So many men I talk to don't ever want to get married these day, and this is the major reason behind it. It's a pretty common view, from guys in their early 20s all the way to the late 30s...

• I understand.

• I look at it and think some people do things like getting married, getting a dog, having children not because they want to but because they think society expects it of them. Than they "wake up" realizing they are in a marriage that they don't want for what ever reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • Marriage is pointless. If you love someone, care for someone, and want to spend your life with someone... THEN DO IT! You don't need a wedding to prove that. Old traditions that people blindly go along with just because.

0|0
    0|0
  • For the same reason I might evacuate my house after a category 5 hurricane warning. I want to be informed about possible dangers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not for nothing, but marriage is suppose to be an oath.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lots of people these days have lost touch with reality and don't understand what should and shouldn't be done to ensure sustainable marriages.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it indicates the value that people hold for marriage in the first place, and relationships in general.

Loyalty? Dafuq is that?

0|0
    0|0
  • Some do some don't. Maybe people care just like they rubberneck on the road.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because as far as I'm concerned, it's a damn good reason to not get married.

"What's that? There's a large chance I'll end up divorced and she'll clean me out? "

Who wants to get married after hearing that?

3|6
    2|0
    • kinda off topic to the question but your comment reminds me of this video

link "men not marrying how deep does the problem go"

she brings up a few good points.

What Girls Said 6

• I guess it's to realize what you're getting yourself in to...

I think today a lot of people marry for the wrong reasons - generally it seems to be for love, the wedding and the whole "fairytale". Marriage shouldn't be about love because as sad as it is, feelings are going to change and you won't always feel the same way about a person as you age and change over time. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't mean you won't love them, you just won't feel those sparks and fireworks anymore once you're in it for 5, 10, 30 years and it will take work to be together.

Marriage should be about commitment and sharing a particular lifestyle. You should be compatible and want mostly the same things out of life as each other. Obviously its unfeasible to be 100% in agreement over everything but you should be close to 75-80% at least!

I think the couples that marry for the right reasons likely stay together while those that marry just for love or "we've been together for x number of years so we might as well" or the worst reason ever "Marry me or I'm leaving!" are those who put the divorce stats up so high.

When things get bad for those who married for love and that love feeling is no longer there they leave because the marriage isn't based upon much else and the reason they married is no longer in existence.

At the end of the day remember marriage is just a contract on a piece of paper binding you to another person for legal and financial purposes. It's not about love or feelings and that piece of paper isn't going to strengthen things.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't mean to be argumentive, but why get married if it's not for love? My parents have been married for 36yrs and don't have to " try to make it work". Do they get on each others nerves, yes.

Do they fight, yes. But, do they still love each other alot, absofreakinlutely! I understand people getting married for the wrong reasons, but love isn't a wrong reason. Just my opinion.

• Show All
    • Do you really think your parents tell you when they have problems and have absolutely hated each other at times? They obviously won't to not upset you. No marriage is perfect and it's unrealistic to think that "love will conquer all" and you'll never ever have to work at it.

• I never said my parents didn't have problems, but we live in fairly small house and I'm an only child. So,I heard some of parents big fights and saw it for myself. But, they always work through it. And, if two people who are married ever hate each other for even a second, they shouldn't be to together. But, we're each entitled to our own opinion. I know things take work, NOTHING in my life has ever not taken work so I know life isn't easy.

• People care because a lot of people are condemned for not getting married.

Why should people be judged and forced to marry when it may end in divorce ?

People should do it when their ready not when society tells them they should be,

That way their marriage has a better chance of survival.

0|0
    0|0
  • "why do people look at the statics of why people get divorced?"

So they don't make those kind of mistakes. I don't care about other people's relationship that much because they're not the same. BUT marriage is considered a big deal and divorce is terrible. I would like to learn from people's mistake so I don't make the same ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • because marriage is supposed to be sacred - now a days it a child's play - people get married stay with each other a year or 3 months and then divorce each other if they don't like them anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • People think that the divorce rate is a reflection of how society overall views marriage.

I also think young people, particularly young, frustrated "nice guys/girls" look at the statistics as a way of blaming it on the opposite gender and proclaiming the opposite gender to be superficial, shallow and entitled.

But people divorce for so many reasons. And when you're 19 years old (such as myself) it's easy to judge couples for getting divorced. But until you've been married for 10+ years, had children, dealt with financial difficulties and an unwilling partner, then you can't speak on how people should go about resolving any issues.

And we always suggest "communication" as a way of resolving issues within relationships. We forget that sometimes, through communication, we realize that breaking up/separating/divorce IS the solution or is the only way out. Some things cannot be fixed.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think people get divorced these days over small reasons that can be settled but get divorced anyway. These days divorce is the solution. Back then, it was the last thing to do.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes