How to maintain 'focus' on hers and your own feelings during a relationship?

My ex broke up with me a month ago. afterward I started 'seeing' a lot of things we both did wrong (especially me).

The relationship lasted 1,5 years. For the last half year, we were doing poorly and I didn't really know why. I didn't see her being as unhappy as she was either, because for some reason I 'forgot' to pay attention. In return I was under some stress myself because she closed herself off from me a bit and things spiraled down from there leading to the break up.

The biggest problems I had were expressing my feelings and even more understanding hers, seeing that she was unhappy with certain stuff (stuff I could've easely changed).

Why do I only recognize these things right now? We had a talk a few days ago and she was really relieved to know I do know what my mistakes were.

01