Will a girl lose interest if you fail to make a move right away?

This girl has recently infiltrated my group of friends through our trivia team. Right away I had the gut feeling she liked me. She would make frequent eye contact, I'd notice her looking at me, she texted me frequently, etc. It just felt weird to make a move because of semi-complicated group dynamic (hard to explain). Anyways, she recently invited me to dinner with a friend of hers, which went fairly well. We then met up for another friend's b-day where we sat next to each other. When everybody wanted to move from our table to the bar, she urged me to stay seated with her. She remained sitting right up next to me besides a world of space around us. When I pointed out sarcastically in conversation how I guess I really didn't know all that much about her, she replied, "Well, not yet." As the night went on though and we continued to drink, it was as if her attitude seemed to change on a dime. It is hard to explain, but by the end of the night it was like I was just another guy. It has seemed that way in the days since. The only things I can think of are either: (1) she saw me smoke a cigarette (while not a true smoker, I'll have one every now and then and I know some girls consider this a deal breaker) or (2) she was turned off by my lack of making a move.

41

Most Helpful Girl

• I know I am essentially saying what the girl before me did, but here is a second opinion for conformation.

When you don't make some type of move pretty early on or at least recipricate my flirtiness I try to move on or not push that avenue. Guys are known to be visual creatures and if you're not showing that interest early on I don't feel like that's going to change. When she said not yet she probably expected you to then ask her questions or make an effort to get to know her, if you didn't that would feel a like a minor start of rejection. I know it may not always make sense, but being as sensitive as I am I would feel a sting of rejection and try to back away

• You may have hit it on the head. She seemed almost nervous when she said "not yet." And when I didn't immediately follow it up with "well let's change that" or follow up questions, she went quiet. I knew I blew an opportunity almost immediately, but figured I could make up for it later. Didn't realize it could potentially kill ALL momentum.

• The thing about most girls is, if she really did like you and you put out some effort to show her you would be interested in getting to know her she'll most likely give you a chance. I wouldn't be able to resist, but I'd be more cautious and need more reassurance