Is my boyfriend controlling or just bossy?

Last night I was cuddling him and trying to get him in the mood when he launched into a speech about how I should wear makeup for him before bed and buy skimpy nighties to wear around the house. We proceeded to have *** but I wasn't in the mood anymore... I completely shut down because he didn't make me feel good. He rarely compliments me, and the comment about me looking better with make up made me feel crap. He said I was too sensitive. So we never finished.

This morning he was being VERY loud while getting ready for work, and put the overhead light on, after having said yesterday to be quiet in the mornings. I knew he was trying to punish me for the night before. I made a noise like I was annoyed, but he continued. Then I lashed out and said loudly 'stop!' but not like screaming. He told me to shut up (I said it back), slammed the door next to our bed and told me I'm crazy THREE times, to which I said "yeah, you've said that before" and then I heard him mutter 'idiot'.

I'm just drained of energy. We live together and I know he's either going to threaten breaking up or lecture me tonight AGAIN. I'm sick of these talks we have that are more like lectures.

Yet he hasn't taken away my self esteem really. Deep down I know I'm beautiful and he should be proud to be with me. I just feel like he's superficial and he gives me rules that he himself fails to follow much of the time.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Time for a break up. A permanent one. He's trying to hurt your feelings. That's not what a partner is supposed to do.

Normally I'd say you should calmly tell him how his words make you feel, and tell him you can't go on feeling that way. In this case, it seems like it won't make a difference. He gets mad and in stead of telling you he's mad, he acts on that anger to hurt your feelings. That's not acceptable.