How should I break up with my boyfriend?

My boyfriend and I have been together for three years. I love him very deeply as a person, but I've stopped having romantic feelings towards him. Because of this, I think it's best that we break up, but I want to do it in a way that will hurt him as little as possible. I would LOVE for us to be friends a couple months later once we've both gotten used to be apart, so I don't want to do anything nasty.

The problem is, he gets very, very emotional when he feels our relationship is threatened and I don't want to say anything that will upset him more. What kind of things could I say to make this as easy on him as possible?

11