People were cheating in my economics final exam. Would it be wrong for me to rat them out?

I'm in college and had my micro economics final yesterday. It's a big class so we were split into two different groups and classrooms. My teacher would walk between the classrooms and when he was gone a few girls would share answers.

It really made me mad - this is college. Grow up and get your own answers. My school, like any other, ha strict rules on cheating and plajorism. I really want to let my prof know - it wasn't fair to the test of the students who actually studies, and I doubt any one will say anything but I don't want them to know it was me who told an hate me.

HELP

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's wrong that they cheated. If you let the teacher know and they are punished they will conceed a grade they will otherwise steal.I don't see how you are wrong. They are stealing a grade they didn't earn. It defeats the purpose of grades in school.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• I don't get people like you. I've never cheated in exams, when I didn't study I took my sh*t scores in my stride. To be honest I was scared of cheating, being barred from every uni for 5 years is just not worth the extra couple of points a cheat sheet could give me. To me cheating wasn't worth the risk, and I really don't think you get a much better grade from it. I'd rather get a bad grade than risk my education. But when I saw people cheating, it didn't make me mad, I just realized they took a big risk I wasn't willing to take.

People like you are the haters that want to cheat (and avoid studying) but don't have the balls to do it then complain about how unfair it is. What they did has no bearing on your grade. If they got a good grade now, chances are in the long run they won't win because they don't have the dedication and focus required for success. Also they took a big risk that you didn't take so I don't even think the "it's unfair" argument holds any weight here.

Lastly, think well before you go ruining someone's life on a whim. Especially when what they do has no effect on your life. If it's confirmed they will most probably be expelled and barred from entering any higher education establishment for several years. I'd be wary of the consequences of putting a random stranger in that situation. Personally, I wouldn't take that lightly.

1|1
    2|2
    • I don't want to cheat or I would. Unlike most people I like to actually pay attention in class and do the course work.

I'm not wrecking someone's life by letting the prof know they cheated. I didn't make them cheat. They did that freely.

• In my uni getting caught or reported cheating on an exam will get your permanently banned from taking any exams for 5 years in any higher education institution in the entire country. So it's a big deal.

My answer was based on that. Getting banned from uni for 5 years as an undergraduate is a pretty tough break.

And yes, they didn't study well. And yes, they cheated freely. But they didn't impede on anyone else's work, hinder you, or make your grades drop. So why the need to put them down?

• If you wanna be hated by your classmates, go ahead. But the teacher might think that you were trying to copy from someone else because that's how you noticed that they are cheating. That could be bad for you too. I recommend forgetting about it.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not wrong, why would it be wrong to do what is seen to be the right thing? By which I mean, telling the truth is always encouraged. Some people make a big deal of 'snitching' or whatever, but those are the people who don't want to be caught doing something. My last job was full of people who said they hated people who were rats, yet if they got in trouble they'd be pointing the finger at everyone else.

1|0
    0|1
  • Snitches get stitches.

Unless your prof. grades on a curve, what they did really has no bearing on your grade. In the end, down the road, they'll not be as successful as you.

0|1
    0|2
  • If you Think about it not every one has the Brains to pass exams (chances are they are good in other things ) but they need to pass it to move on with their lives and get a Job. Let them be Its not like they hurt anybody .

Besides don't you have better things to do other than thinking about them ? Chances are if they are lazy and worthless people they will usually lose the race .You continue on your merry way

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't bother. The reason I say this is because unless they absolutely had the right answers, and you know that they were right, there's no value to it. No different than in grade school 4 people copying the wrong answer just makes for 4 wrong answers.

1|0
    0|1
  • Firstly do you have any proof or willing witnesses? Secondly you should talk to those cheaters because cheating at college/university can involve jail time and even being blacklisted. You need to be confident in their guilt to take the matter forward

If you don't want to do the above you could send an email to your course convenor who could then investigate the situation

0|0
    0|1
  • try therapy, it will help

0|0
    0|0
  • Let them be, karma will get them eventually. I've seen it in effect too many times to not believe in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • What makes you so morally righteous enough to rat on students like that? Do you work there? Are you teaching the class? No? Then Its literally none of your business. If you studied for the test, that's good. If they want to cheat and be retards on that specific subject, then let them. But I don't understand how people like you have to go out of their way to get people in trouble when its not even you're responsibility!

And hey Ms. microeconomics, you of all people understand where our economy is right now, why would you ever get someone in enough trouble to get kicked and possibly even blacklisted from schools...thats pretty nasty, even if they are in the wrong. Only because "my school was strict so I have to make peoples lives miserable because my beliefs come before anything!".

I'm not even against snitching, I'm against egotistical self-righteous people who would cause nothing but problems over something as stupid as you're "problem". Get. Over. It

1|0
    0|2
    • You used the wrong your three times and it's extremely irritating.

Also micro economics directly doesn't have to do with the economy- that's more macro.

My city is one of two places in Canada NOT affected by the economy. So yeah, that's not really relevant.

I sort of understand where you're coming from - but it ticks me off all the same.

• Show All
    • I agree.

• I'm on an iPhone. Spelling mistakes usually correct themselves, if it doesn't tell me I'm wrong I assume it's correct. There's no excuse for not knowing which "your" to use except stupidity.

& I'm completely fine with hatred. There are a lot of stupid people out there. I'm not petty enough to care about how they view me.

What Girls Said 5

• I wouldn't do that if I were you. They cheated...so what? Why do you feel the need to report them?

Damn, I've never cheated, but I helped other people cheat because I really enjoy the thrill of breaking the rules. I've also helped other students copy my answers before.

It never bothered me when other people compared their answers or when they asked for my help.

1|0
    0|0
    • Because there's strict rules against cheating for a reason. & because I hate dishonesty.

Helping other people cheat IS cheating. High school and grade school is one thing but post-secondary you're supposed to be smart enough to actually learn something. The classes have a purpose and you pay top dollar to be there. You're not learning anything if you rely on cheating.

• Actually helping others cheat, may be a form of cheating yes. But I've never copied the answers myself. I feel like I'm too proud to do that lol.

There are strict rules for a bunch of things. That doesn't mean all rules are fair. I think when people cheat they learn sometimes. If somebody else knows the answer, then why not share it? The person who copies it may learn something by writing down the answer. That's why I like helping other people. I think it benefits them.

• Would it be wrong? No.

Would it be wise? I guess that depends.

Would anyone know you were the rat? If so, are you prepared to be socially outcast?

The girls that cheated, are they in a position to steal a bursary or job from you? Or are either your marks, or theirs, not good enough for it to matter?

Ultimately, they are cheating themselves. They are the ones who will graduate without the knowledge they should have, and that will affect them if they get a job in that field.

1|0
    0|2
    • You're probably right. They're all in their late twenties to early 30s though so I don't really talk to them much anyways. Them giving me the cold shoulder wouldn't bother me much at all honestly.

BUT they're probably not threats - it's a business program and I doubt we will even end up in the same field.

• Even if you don't talk to them, the social stigma of being a rat, would be more far reaching then just them.

• Down here in the UK that's serious but then it never happens cause we have at least 4 invigilators walking around the room. The atmosphere is so serious you can't even think of cheating. Don't report them one day they'll get caught themselves since truth always prevails lol

1|2
    0|0
  • Yes. Don't be a snitch and mind your own damn business. It has nothing to do with you.

0|1
    0|2
    • How doesn't it? Cheating isn't allowed for a reason - I shouldn't have to compete with people whom have an unfair advantage because they are dishonest and cheat to reap rewards. That's why there's rules on it. Otherwise there wouldn't be a point in grading people, would there?

• Show All
    • Yeah and if I saw a guy dump a body I shouldn't report it? Cause it doesn't affect me? Do you understand your logic?

Morally wrong is morally wrong.

• What the hell does a dead body have to do with a test. Go ahead, snitch and be a social outcast, idc.

• This question is too funny for me cause I JUST wrote my final Economics exam as well ! Like a hour age 0_o (it was macro economics though!) but anyways, back to the question no it's not wrong and I would do it as well. If I saw someone cheating in a final I'd feel like it's my obligation to tell whoever was in charge. Don't worry about your identity being revealed. In situations like these it would be HIGHLY unethical of your teachers to make your name public. The chances are really low and even so, what you've done is morally correct and your teachers will applaud you for it. They can't always see everything so you're kinda helping them. I just find it odd that you only have one teacher who does the checking. At my uni there's like 5 instructors walking around the exam room. Impossible to cheat here.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's because of the way the course is set up - it's really just "economics" - but is taught in two separate parts and by two separate teachers so it's midterm but technically my final for micro and I start macro next week sometime.

Recommended myTakes