The pot smoking boyfriend, what would you do?

Ok, I need some honest advice.

I started dating this guy about three weeks ago. So the relationship is still very very new. Everything seems to be going good except for one thing. He smokes pot.

I don't have an issue with people that smoke pot. What people do on their own time is none of my concern. But I have an issue when it starts affecting others.

My personal history with pot, is that it broke up my family when I was child. My father chose pot over us.

My ex was also a recovering addict, who relapsed towards the end of our relationship. He chose to spend money on pot vs. paying bills.

I've been honest with this new guy from the beginning about how I feel about the pot, and that it makes me uncomfortable, but I don't feel like I can ask him not to smoke it because we aren't really that serious in the relationship yet. I'm just uncomfortable when he smokes it while I'm around. His personality doesn't seem to change and he pays his bills. I'm just nervous that if we get serious I will see history repeat itself.

Am I being irrational about this, or should I stand my ground on the matter.

What would you do in this situation?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Marijuana is one of the more benign drugs that people use--definitely less destructive and physically addicting than alcohol. However, it is possible to become psychologically addicted to almost anything, so people can still develop a 'dependence' on pot. Also, some people use it to self-medicate--as an escape from some psychological or social problem they may have. I suspect that marijuana, in and of itself, is not to blame for your father deserting your family as many fathers are occasional pot smokers and they don't abandon their responsibilities. There are also many fathers who leave their families and don't smoke pot at all. Of course, I don't know your specific circumstances and I am not trying to contradict what you are saying happened...

Again, in the case of your ex I wonder if marijuana is the main cause or just a part of his overall situation? The classical image of the 'stoner' is someone who sits around all the time getting high and doesn't care about doing anything else. Yes, those people exist but there are also many people who smoke pot occasionally and still are motivated to accomplish things in their lives. The main trap that people fall into is attempting to substitute an intoxicated state of consciousness for their normal state of consciousness on a full-time basis. The immediate reason for this is that they are happier when 'high', so they believe their life will be better if they are 'high' all the time. However, the fundamental problem is that they are unhappy when 'straight'. This could be due to their brain chemistry or some underlying psychological problem. The proper approach is to deal with the primary issue(s), not to seek escape in an altered state of consciousness on a permanent basis...

Clearly, you have had some previous experiences which predispose you to dislike marijuana. But was it the drug, or the people who were using the drug? As for your current boyfriend, does he feel a need to be 'high' all the time? Can he spend time with you while 'straight' and be happy? If not, then I do believe you should be concerned. However, if it is only occasional use (like once per week or only on weekends) then I don't think there is as much cause for concern. The key issue is whether he can still be happy while 'straight'--perhaps when doing a hobby or when he is with you--or whether the only time he can really be happy is when he is 'high'. If it is the latter, then he may have a problem...

As for whether you should "stand your ground," that is a tough question. It may seem like an easy way to determine how important pot is to him compared to you, but at the same time some people really dislike being given an ultimatum. The best approach would be to have a *serious* discussion about the situation. If he's unwilling to do that, then I doubt an ultimatum would work anyway. Good luck...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• I would find a boyfriend that didn't smoke pot. Easy. Kill that anxiety nonsense at the ROOT!

However you aren't actually me, so instead you will find that you should simply stand your ground and continue on waiting for things to collapse that probably won't anytime soon.

0|0
    0|0
  • You seem to attract pot smokers, after you dump this guy you should find someone completely different

0|1
    1|0
  • So when you get more serious with him you will want him to change lol

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Don't punish him for what the people in your past did. I'd give him a chance to show you whether or not he'll be a good boyfriend.

You can ask him to not smoke around you, that's reasonable, but if you do give him a chance, you can't suddenly demand that he stop smoking. Especially if it's not negatively affecting your relationship.

But if the smoking is something you feel you can't get over, then it'd be best to let him go.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I were you I wound end the relationship since smoking pot is an issue. I personally wouldn't date a guy who smoked pot. I don't think your being irrational and I would just stand your ground.

0|0
    1|0
  • Daddy issues hun. We all have them..Keep in mind that everyone is different. If you don't like pot, then find another dude.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes