Taking a Break From Exercise. How long can you go without losing fitness?

I mean taking a break from exercise for the sake of illness, fatigue or for just being bored or not feeling like it.

So, how long can you take a break from exercise without losing fitness? Days? A week? Two weeks? What's the maximum period?

29

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on your diet and the type of exercise. You won't lose much of anything for a few months if you are eating enough calories to maintain weight and protein to maintain muscle mass.

IIRC aerobic endurance actually drops sooner than muscle mass (it's why marathon runners have to run very often and almost daily - for many hours/miles).

You may start to look bigger but it is only water from the extra salt that you would normally be sweating off with exercise as well as muscle glycogen levels being higher.

When you get back to lifting weights start slow and use about 80% of your previous weights (slowly ramp back up to pre-break weight). Also, any small amount of muscle loss should be not be expected for less than a 2 month break and muscle lost is easier to regain than it was in the first place.