Is a week after a break up too early to go out with someone else?

This guy asked me out today and as it a small school, I know that he just broke up with his girlfriend yesterday

I don't really know him, but I think I like so I would love go out with him. He suggested get dinner tomorrow or wensday, but in my eyes that's def too early. I told me maybe next week sometime, but even then I'm not sure about it.

As I said, it's a small school in a small town and a lot of people know them and when they broke up. I'm kinda scared people would see me as slut homewrecker

Most Helpful Guy

• Next day is definitely a little too fast, especially if he was the one who broke up with her. But a week is a bit better. I mean it's a little fast but it might be alright. Though I think it's really up to you.

I would like to comment on a few other things you said though. For starters, you're not a homewrecker just for dating him. They broke up first. Then HE asked YOU out. That's entirely on him, not you. More than that, I don't think you should be taking what other people think into account when it comes to who you date. It's not their choice, it's yours. What they think is unimportant. You're not a slut, this isn't on you, and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Also the thing about him moving on so quick, I think the big pitfalls here are not about what people think, but whether or not he's the right kinda guy or in the right state of mind for this. I mean is he rebounding? Does he think so little of the women he dates if he's over her so soon? Or was he in this long enough, and was it bad enough for a long time that he's over her before he dumped her, and is now ready? Who can say? But I'd think about that.

A week is quick, but it's not the worst, it's just a little tricky I personally think you should go out with him if you like him, or if you're interested As simple as that. But as I said earlier, other people's opinions don't matter so much, not even mine. In the end this is pretty much up to you.

• well I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but it's hard. I don't want to be judged by everyone.

According to him they've had trouble for months but they've just recently made if official. As I said, I don't really know, I can't really tell what kind of person he is. Isn't that what dating is for? It's just a date afterall, but I fear other people will jump to conclusion if we go out that early after they broke up

• Yeah but seriously does it matter if they judge? Apart from them jumping to conclusions, what more can they do? If they give you crap for it, throw it right back and tell them that for starters they don't know what they're talking about, and secondly, it's none of their business, and you can add more to the list if you want, but you don't have to take crap from anyone.

Anyway I do think that a date is harmless enough. Just two friends going out and getting to know each other. Why not, right?

• But yeah, I say go on a date if you want. Get to know him. Keep it a little distant for now. Establish boundaries. Nothing too hot, or physical at first. I think the girl below me is about right. Give it a month. I think a date is fine, but give it a good month to see if he's really up to it, or if he's just a guy on the rebound. Then maybe you can start thinking about other things.

Best of luck.

What Guys Said 1

• You're right about what people would think, and it is way too soon for him to be asking someone else out. It sounds like he's in a rebound mode, and trying to use you to fill the void in his life right now.

Generally I wouldn't accept invitations from someone you don't know. Wait until you've been able to see each other informally, outside of any dating scenario, before you agree to go out as a couple. ESPECIALLY in a small town where everyone will know all about it.

What Girls Said 2

• I went out with a guy a week after I broke up with my ex and I don't regret it at all. If you do end up wanting something, just talk to him about it, it's your best shot :) But even if it ends up OK, I'd protect myself a bit in the beginning, just in case.

• I would wait a month if I were you.