Does welfare pay enough to cover all your food expenses?

I'm not talking prime cut steaks every night or anything... but for 3 square meals a day, rice, veggies, fruit, for a 130lb female, is it enough money or will she have to supplement some of her income to pay for the rest? I am wondering because I have no income but would like to get food stamps to help me move out and hopefully will be getting a job soon. I don't want to move out if I can't afford to eat, (I am moving with a friend who will let me stay rent free until I get a job, then I'll pay for the rent I didn't pay him) I am in CA by the way. I was also thinking if I bought from wholesaler markets it would be cheaper, but I'm not sure you can use food stamps for that..

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Why not get a job, then move out, and you won't have to worry about going on welfare.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Sounds to me like she just wants free money. As far as I'm concerned people who don't have kids and aren't disabled shouldn't even qualify for public assistance.

• because my home is abusive and I'd like to get out as soon as possible.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 3

• Hum I suggest getting a job first so you don't have to worry about getting on welfare. Too many people get cozy on assistance and want things handed to them. Rewards shouldn't be handed but earned even if it's food stamps. Not trying to bash but seriously jobs need to be better so people don't have to depend or rely on government assistance.

0|0
    0|0
  • Job. Job. Job. Speaking as someone who was once on it as a child, you need a job. Start applying on your way out the door, but dont jump to relying on foodstamps. No matter how good your intentions, or plans to get off them as soon as your get on your feet, the reality is you wont. Free food is awesome. Its hard to give up something like that. you'll keep making excuses for yourself why you should still be on it (and im not saying any of this makes your a bad person), and you won't be able to part from it. Better to understand the struggle of affording it now, because when you start realizing that you can get name brand food and a lot more than your budget would allow normally, you'll be even more reluctant because of the sacrifices you would have to make without it. Its like an addiction to a certain point. Not going on it, and working out your budgeting, will be much better in the long run, because believe it or not, it does define you to an extent. No, you aren't some baby momma popping kids out to keep her welfare, but to a certain point, you are still abusing the system. Im assuming by this post you have no children, in which case, you really dont have any excuse to get it. You are only one mouth to feed, and it truly does not take a lot to feed it. Though your decision, keep that in mind. There is no such thing as "getting on your feet" with welfare.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you eligible for stamps if you don't have kids?

0|0
    0|0
    • yes, single people gotta eat too... you just have to be low income which I am and not have a lot in the bank which applies to me too... but living at home messes with it because my parents make too much to qualify, so that's why I need to move out.

• If you can still live at home why do you need welfare? What about getting a job first and then moving out?

• because my home is abusive and I'd like to get out as soon as possible.

Recommended myTakes