Is this just a phase or something else?

My boyfriend of 6 months has become more distant lately. He has always been introverted, but he used to be more playful with me, hold my hand, and text me a lot. Now I barely get three messages from him in a day and I'm lucky if I get within a foot of him. It really worried me how he acted today in social studies today. My teacher wanted people to group up into pairs and I looked at him and he looked back at me, but he just said, "So...you're working with your friend?" and I kind of shook my head and said, "Well," but before I could say what I wanted, another person already claimed him as his partner and he didn't refuse to work with her. When class got over, we typically walk out together, but he seemed like he didn't want to walk with me. I would try to start a conversation and he wouldn't respond. Is this just a phase that guys go through or is something else going on?

• No, this is completely normal
  • Leave it alone, it's just a phase.
  • You guys should break up, it's obviously over.
    Vote C
  • Other/Comment below
    Vote D
I'm planning on breaking up with him some time this week, if you have any hints on how, that would be great. It's too much stress to stay with someone who doesn't put any effort into a relationship.

12

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know about guys going through phases like this. I'm seven years with my girlfriend. I do like my space from time to time, but not like what you described. He may just be different. He may be different, he may be not as into you, or something else may be going on.

The only thing you can do is talk to him. The worse thing I think is to do this, and ask random strangers who don't really know your situation, and who this person is. We can speculate all we want, but the only way you'll really figure anything out is to talk to him. It's tough to bring these things up, but if you love him, then you need to figure out what's wrong.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • okay, if you asked to go out and he refused, then that can be a cause of concern, just ask if he loves you and wants to keep going out with you.

• Thanks for the update. It's unfortunate, but when it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be.

• Yup. My motto is "Everything happens for a reason" so I'm not going to let some teenage break-up bother me when I have a whole future ahead of myself.