My ex says he wants to start talking again but slowly although does not contact me at all?

Me and my ex saw each other at the gym and had a really good time with each other and I still had strong feelings for him at the time so I asked him what he wanted due to that being the case and he responded that he wanted to start talking again and get back together but SLOWLY,? well since that day which was a week ago he had not texted or called me even once? If I text or call him though he responds promptly but if I don't days who knows maybe even a week or two could go by with it us talking

I'm very confused by this because I called him and asked him what he wanted never did I hint to him that we needed to try again and if I did I was sure to give him a way out by saying let me know what's going on so I can either let these feelings for you stay or get over them also if we hang out I feel like at times he's holding back but if we fall asleep together he'll hold onto me pretty tight but its like after we have a night together that next day everything seems to have meant.nothing I just don't get it

Why is he not reaching out to me even though he did he wanted to work things out?

02