Girlfriend said she needs to be alone for a while

My girlfriend and I started dating about a year and a half ago. When we first met, she was in a relationship with another guy who was not treating her right (taking money from her, hitting her, etc.) A few months later she broke up with him and moved right into dating me. The first six months were great, standard honeymoon phase and all that, we never fought, had lots of sexual contact, etc.

Not too long after that, we started bickering and fighting. Some of it was her fault, some of it was mine, usually involving my bad temper, but we worked through it and still every single day we said we loved each other. However over the course of our relationship we started having less and less intimacy. She said she was getting stressed out with her job working her all kinds of hours and her just starting college.

A little after dating for a year, we got into a big fight and she said she wanted to be alone to figure things out and think. She said that she was depressed and that she didn't know what she wanted, and that I know exactly what I want and I know where I am going, and she did not want to string me along. So during this time, I started to get help to get my anger issues under control, and showed her that I changed. After about a week, she called me for the first time since the breakup, we had a long talk about what the issues we were having in the past were, and agreed to both work on our faults and make this work. We started going back out again, and things were great, but now its roughly a month after that, and I noticed she was being short with me and distant and I kept asking her what was wrong and she would always say nothing.

So today, my now ex girlfriend of a year and a half broke up with me, saying that she needs to be alone for a while. I kept my anger under control and asked her what the problem was, and she said that she is depressed, and that she doesn't want to keep stringing me along in a relationship she cannot put 100% into, just like before, and that she needed to be alone for a while. She said that I am a man of my word and that I did get my problems under control and fixed, but it is not fair to me for me to keep giving and getting nothing in return. My heart is broken and I have no idea what to do at this point. Help?
I found out today that she had lied to me and went out and partied with another guy when she said she was doing something else. How do I get over it?
She's been posting things on Twitter like "what a week this has been, totally exhausted, but it was so worth it :)" "this has been the best week ever" and "work work work :p gonna be a good week though" Is she being too positive?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Unfortunately, it sounds like this is all on her : / If she's truly depressed, she should seek professional help. Depression is like the opposite of rose-colored glasses...it makes everything seem flawed and hopeless. So to you, even though your relationship felt like it was back on track, everything for her felt off. If she weren't depressed, I'd bet she would feel differently.

But it's up to her to get there.