Why won't he talk to me? :'(

I was dating my boyfriend for 9 months before we broke up on Thanksgiving. He told me he wanted to marry a Christian and didn't think I would ever stop being an atheist (he's right about that). He said he didn't want to break up, but he didn't know what to do.

He'd already been creating distance between us for 2-3 weeks before we talked about the religion thing, and it hurt me so much that I just thought that if he had to think that hard about whether he wanted to be with me or not, then we shouldn't be together.

We had a really good relationship in a lot of ways, even though we're very different. The thing that is really stressing me out is that he won't talk to me at all now. I tried to call him on Thanksgiving to make peace after we got in a fight a few hours before on the same day, and he said through text that he wouldn't call me back and needed time to think. It made me feel so bad that he needed to think so hard about whether he wanted to be with me or not that I just decided to text him back that we should break up. He never responded to that text. I waited a day before trying to contact him again, and have only texted him once and called him once. I just said I wanted to make peace in the text too. I haven't been harassing him or being mean and have never been that way toward him.

Now he won't talk to me. Please tell me, why won't he talk to me? :(

06

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm... I find it strange that he didn't know this about you or know of his feelings towards this difference in you both earlier. It's like he's known of this difference for 9 months now and has only just decided that it's not going to work! Either way, if that's how he feels and of course and rightly so, you are not going to change, then I guess it's his call. I get the impression that it wouldn't be a problem for you, but if it is a problem for him and he can't handle that, then he has made his decision. I feel sorry for you and feel that he could have realized what he wanted before you two even got together, but this is just the way it's worked out.

As for why he's not talking to you now and is alienating you, well that's not exactly very 'Christian' of him, although in the real world, it is! That aside, he shouldn't be treating you like this, but obviously he has issues to work through and feels that he's best away from you in order to do that. I'm sure this is hard for him too, but it is his decision and I feel he could think of you a little more too.

I think he's being harsh on you and you shouldn't be doing the chasing, therefore I think you should send him a closing text or message. Send him everything that you feel and want to say. Tell him how you feel, how you feel about his lack of contact and that you deserve something! Get everything off your chest that you want to say and then leave it up to him. Do not chase... Say your bit and then work through this on your own (or with friends/family) in your own time. I suppose if he replies to you, then go from there.

I'm sorry that he's made this decision and that he's being like this towards you, but say your bit and try to move on. I hope everything works out for you in the long term... :o)