Have you ever been in a toxic relationship?

I am in a seriously toxic relationship. I am in love with a man who lies, does drugs, puts his hands on me, & is scared of nothing. Through it all, we just can't seem to stay away from eachother. He put his hands on me the other day and slashed my tires all because he decided to relapse on cocaine. He had a tantrum making up things in his mind (like I was screwing his friends?!). I called the police, he fled the scene, and I made a report against him. Even after knowing this, he still came back to the apartment 3 more times! The cops were called everytime aside from the last.

We say hurtful things to eachother and we act selfishly not caring about the people we hurt in the process. I always feel like utter crap because my mom has grown completely sick knowing that I am with a guy like this...and I am so selfish that I can't seem to let him go, even though I see I am hurting the people around me.

We have been together for about 9 months and have already moved in together, he has bought me an engagement ring, & has my name tattooed on his chest.

Anyways, have any of you ever loved someone you knew was no good for you? How did it turn out? Do you think people like this are capable of change?

• Yes
  • No

36

Most Helpful Girl

• Unfortunately rash people will be rash. I was kind of in a situation you're describing but not as intense. This man of my past loved me with a fury, and still emails me from time to time 4 years after the break up. During the relationship, I was accused of cheating (which I never have), he would constantly call me and ask every detail about what I was going, who I was with. Very paranoid, didn't trust me at all but bought me an engagement ring 6 months into the relationship. He would push me and if I decided to run he'd call everyone I knew looking for me. I realized that as much as he loved me intensely was as much as he was against me, if that makes sense. When we weren't tearing each others' throats out, the passion was unbearable at times. Yes, he loved but he also hated just as much. I cut my losses and broke it off when it just got to be way too much. Believe me, breaking it off with a psycho is not easy. I had to change my location, change my number, not use my old email addresses, change the name on any social networking site I had, and the bad thing is I still care about him after all this time. I know how stupid it is and seems, but you really just have to get over it and find what's good for you because he will only bring you down. Find your self confidence and conquer your enemies.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I just want to add about the change thing, that people never truly change. I stayed with him for months because I thought that somehow deep down he was a really good person who just needed help. No matter how much I tried, it just reverted back into abuse eventually.

• I feel exactly how you feel. Thank you for having compassion and responding with a well thought out answer and not ridiculing me nor making me feel ashamed like many other responders have. Sad to say, but they are as emotionally abusive as my boyfriend.

• You are very welcome. Everyone needs support especially in the situation like you're in, and nobody ever came out of a bad situation by realizing how "stupid" they are. You are a strong person and will make it through. You may think about it often in the future, but that's only due to the intensity of the situation. You need someone who appreciates who you are and trusts you. Get a restraining order on your *ex*-boyfriend if you need to, whatever it takes.