How Do I know If My Ex Boyfriend Is Serious About what He says?

So my ex and I have been on this crazy roller coaster even after are relationship ended too. Now! what I mean ABOUT crazy roller coaster ride, both of us.. him and I just don't know if we really can work again or not. I like him and he likes me, but were just both unsure if it can work again-- but the bad part about it is. I really don't want it to be a physical thing, because all we did was make out- go out to places and eat - and later make out some more- and on a good day have sex. That Not really a relationship or begin friend's. And sometimes it's like that still... but not as much going out/hanging out- he'll call me when he wants a hook up- or don't have any body to go with him. Sometimes I go and other time's I won't sometimes he'll ask and other time he won't. And I'm cool by what ever he feels- but also are feelings been running deep for each other well I know mine have-- but I'm just unsure about his. Now we did have a talk about what's going on and what we feel like it's best to do.. is just remain good friend's. And I HAD ASKED HIM why did you tell me this stuff for?... and he said he just wanted to share it with me and I said Umm ok-- and what he was saying sounded good and all. But I did ask him how do I know what your saying is the truth- because he tells me one thing and then the next something else. So he said I guess is for me to believe him that all. But I don't know we kinda hurted each other-- but he was the one the broke it off with me-- he had his reasons and I give him reasons as well so that I don't blame. But also he had a choose to stay or go but he left.. So now he wants me back and I do to. But I don't know so Dose anyone no? thanks

10