Am I a second choice?

at uni, I met an incredible guy recently and hit it off right away. He asked me out and we went on a few dates over the course of 3 weeks or so. Then, suddenly he told me he can't do it any more, as he has just realized that he is not over his ex, as she didn't officially say they were breaking up, just that she needed a break and didn't feel the same way he does about her. He blames himself for how it all ended, and is having some personal issues (depression etc). But that its nothing I have done wrong, he still really likes me, and in the future maybe we could work out when he's got his head straight.

She's recently moved back into the area and he's going to talk to her about it all as soon as he can face it.

I still really like this guy, but I don't want to be someone's second choice. he is a great, honest man and I don't think he would ever lead me on purposely, but I'm really confused as to where I stand, and how much contact I should have with him till then

11