Women: How long did it take you to get over your first?

My sister is still not over her first and they broke up a year back. They dated for about 2 years and she is 21 now. How long does it usually take for y'all to get over your ex if it was a serious relationship? Thanks for your time.
Updates:
Thank you. Well she he just a rebound guy and said she is over her first but I don't think that's true. I'm trying to help her but she thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't think it's healthy for her to get a rebound, she is already saying that she is in love with the guy and she brags about him all on Faceobok. As a brother I'm concerned because I think she is setting herself up for failure because he new boyfriend is a loser (drug user and probation) and my family hates him.

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• To get over that person completely can take some people years. My first boyfriend was an asshole, and we've been broken up since 2007 but I saw him again last year and I must say it got me thinking about the relationship we had. So to get completely over him? That could take a while. To get over him as in: she knows she can live without him and doesn't burst into tears with the thought of him, that took me a few months though. Though some women take longer or not as long.

So I suggest you give her time, but let her know that you're there for her if she wants to talk or just take her mind off things.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you. Well she he just a rebound guy and said she is over her first but I don't think that's true. I'm trying to help her but she thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't think it's healthy for her to get a rebound.

• Rebounds can help sometimes :)

It may sound rude but she should discover for hersel what works and what not, so she'll know it if it happens again in the future.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• I took a good year to get completely over my first. We went out four months and I thought he hung the moon. I was 19. He dumped me out of the blue a week before finals our first semester of college. Dodged a bullet there! I imagine after 2 years the pain your sister felt was exquisite. Have you spoken to her about your concerns?

0|0
    0|0
  • I still havn't, but we have a strange relationship, started dating 10 years ago dated on and off through out high school and ended things in our second year of post-secondary, after 3 years of still no being over it we got back together. and not talking about marriage, so special case but yea, never got over him.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you. Well she he just a rebound guy and said she is over her first but I don't think that's true. I'm trying to help her but she thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't think it's healthy for her to get a rebound.

• I completely agree, rebounds just cause trouble.

• First love- one year

Second love- 6 months

Third love - 4 months

Fourth love- 3 months

Fith love- 2 months

And every relationship after,takes about 1-4 weeks to get over. It's easier as I get older.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it's getting over the attachment of a person. Not getting over the feelings I had for them because its hard for me to seriously get attached emotionally. So I'd say I get over the attachment/attention of having someone be all about me in a couple months.

0|0
    0|0

• She is not over her Ex it takes a long time to heal the pain. You never really get over your first true love because they always hold a special spot in your heart. You can move on and be happy with someone else but that first true love will always hold that spot. I was with someone for 7 years and we broke up 3 years ago and we are both still not fully over each other. For your sister she was with him for 2 years and they made a bong with each other and feel head over heals for each. It has been a year for your sister but when she sees him all those feelings come rushing back. Sometimes its hard to find another person that makes you feel that way and when you can't you just settle for the closest thing

0|0
    0|0
  • At least a year honestly.

0|0
    0|0
  • for me, I've never had a serious relationship, but one guy I really emotionally connected to it took me about 5-6 months to get over him. it probably took so long because I don't really go out much or get approached that much. rebounds help me get over guys faster.

0|0
    0|0
  • 4 months

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. My first relationship didn't last very long and he got abusive so it was very easy to leave him immediately after he attacked me.

My current relationship however...if it ended I probably would never recover. He's my everything so...it'd probably take me years...if ever.

0|0
    0|0

• It's not, but everyone's different.

What Guys Said 0

Be the first guy to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes