Does anyone know of drugs that help you stop obsessing over an ex?

Backstory: We only dated for two months. She avoided me for a month. Became a friend for a month, I stopped the friendship. She avoided me when I wanted my stuff back. Came back into my life through fb. I drunkenly told her off, apologized. A month later she adds a friend of mine to her account and starts paying him attention. This bothers me, so I finally tell her I can't get over her if she's going to start interacting with my friends. We end up talking about the whole relationship and seemed to have ended the conversation in peace.

This relationship ended in August. Five months have passed since we last slept together.

I cannot sleep. In my rational mind I know this is stupid and I don't even want to get back together, but my emotional mind is obsessing. I want to stop all this. She's really just a fling, but I don't know to stop. I worry I have mental problems. Does anyone know of a drug out there that helps with this stuff, because I thought I was getting better, but I'm back to where I started again.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the turmoil you are going through.

First of all, if what she is doing on FB irritates you - delete her as a friend. Block her even. Consider abandoning FB yourself...it really isn't the be all and end all...I mean who wants invites to play "Candy Crush Saga" several times a day?...far better to get a real life. Anyway, out of sight...out of mind is certainly a good starting point!

Then, do things to take your mind off her...what are your hobbies? Do you have any personal ambitions? Be a little selfish right now - do something just for you, 'cos everyone is worth that once in a while.

Third, about the sleeping. If you haven't slept for a few months, you are likely to be pretty fragile emotionally...because sleep is simply essential to function normally. And your body clock will be all over the place. You could try an over the counter remedy (e.g. a herbal one) to help you sleep...and self help measures like plenty of fresh air and exercise and avoiding caffeine before bedtime, but if that doesn't improve matters, go see your doctor who can give you a short course of prescribed medication like zimovane (zopiclone) to help get your body on the right track.

Wishing you all the best!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 13

• Have you considered therapy? Seeing a psychologist will help you vent out your frustrations (instead of keeping it all inside) and can provide you with medication if deemed necessary.

P.S. Don't be so hard on yourself! We've all been there

0|0
    0|0
    • only a psychiatrist can prescribe meds.. Its all about money though. Coming from a future psychologist... I don't recommend it.

• Xanax or valium with a prescription of course. I used to have really bad anxiety and my dr. prescribed me diazepam...it made me feel very relaxed, centered, calm...like just chill. Everything is going to be OK. :)

Drugs are a last resort though!

0|0
    2|0
  • Find a counselor/therapist to begin with. You need weekly talks for a while, and if you still can't get over her then you'll be sent to a psychiatrist/psychologist who will prescribe you a medication. Maybe you should start lifting some weights to get a healthier, hotter body. Then maybe you'll feel really good about yourself, and find another girl who's worth your time. You don't want to go from obsessing over her to obsessing over work or exercise though. That can happen. But you do need to think about other important matters so you can move on.

1|0
    0|0
  • Alcohol. Just kidding, honestly it's a drug called time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Time and a new girl will do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Drugs just make it worse >.>

0|0
    0|0
  • sex is my drug

0|0
    0|0
    • Is this really any help? Girls can get sex anytime and anywhere. Guys it's harder. I have slept with 5 girls in the past five months, and before that I have slept with 2 girls in the past 10 years. I've been getting more sex now than ever, but it doesn't matter. I just want a nice a lady now, to hang with

• Yes. It's called endorphins.

Seek an intellectual passion/hobby that you can pick up whenever you start to feel your feelings overtake you. You'll get better and better at the hobby, and you'll start to boost your ego to a point where you'll realize that this girl neither appreciates nor deserves the time you're giving her in your thoughts.

Delete her from FB. There's no shame in that, and it will help you focus on you :) Oh, and don't screw up your body more with adding drugs to the mix. Get some sleep. That's the best thing you can do to let your body sort this out. Think of this as a mild chemical imbalance. You don't have the kind of mental problems that are permanent, irreversible, or not normal. This is very normal, but it is a mental problem nevertheless. You're not going to fix a chemical imbalance by adding more crap to your body for your brain to handle. You'll just make more problems for yourself, not to mention you'll make yourself poor in the process of buying drugs.

Get back to a regular system of living, and this will sort itself out naturally. Eat satisfying food only at regular intervals. Get your heart pumping every day, even if you don't have time to do a full work out sesh. Read a book for pleasure for at least an hour at least once a week. Go to bed early; wake up early. Stay away from liquor, binge eating, drugs, smoking, etc. If you can't do it permanently, try it for a day every week. Then try it for a whole week. Then, do it for a whole month... You get the picture. Keep your space clean and organized at all times. Break every task you have to do into smaller more manageable tasks.

If you keep your space and your tasks organized, you will be happier and more satisfied with your life. Do things that are good for you, and you will feel better. It's a shockingly simple concept, but weirdly - a lot of people still insist on doing things that they don'[t actually enjoy very much even though those things also wear out the body/mind.

GET HEALTHY AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY.

2|0
    0|0
  • Seek professional help.

0|0
    0|0
  • alcohol

0|0
    0|0
  • hun, listen, I know how you feel. I've been in your shoes many many times. It's like you know it's all so ridiculous but at the same time you just can't stop thinking about it...stressing the details.. rereading the convos or just replaying them in your head. Analyzing everything.. But this will get you no where.. I say time heals all but I think what you need to do is just get out there and start dating. Even if you meet a woman who you know you will not be serious with you can still date. Its fun to learn about new people. See that that woman is not the only one. etc etc..

I don't recommend any medicines for these types of issues. Obsessing over the past is not pathological in my opinion..However, if you are feeling depressed I recommend a small dose of L-tryptophan... this is just an amino acid that is normally found in food. an increased dose will help with anxiety or depression. It will Increase serotonin Levels and Promote Relaxation... which could be essential for overcoming an obsession.

0|0
    0|0
  • anti depressants

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• There are anti-depressants that will stop the obsession, bu tthey have powerful side effects. I'd recommend more traditional medicine. Say, A French woman, an Irish woman, or a Chinese woman.

0|0
    0|0
    • This time I fully agree!

• Show All
    • The majority of anti-depressants actually do not have serious side effects. There are a variety of types out there that provide relief from anxiety and depression with minimal side effects. Just wanted to throw that in there : )

• swift- no offense.. but educate yourself before you say that these medications do not have many serious side effects.

• I would go for the exercise routine first as a great "drug".

If that fails try some weed...you will sleep great.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes