Is it horrible to wish your parents were divorced?

My dad is mentally/emotionally/verbally abusive to my siblings and my mom. He really treats my mom like crap. They are a terrible model for my siblings and I, I view them as "the relationship I never would want."

Unfortunately my dad was raised with conservative value and he looks down upon divorced families. Honestly I think divorce is better than what I see in my own home. It is completely miserable, we are all walking on egg shells around him and my siblings and I withdraw from him. There is always tension and unhappiness and we all want to leave.

My mom is very weak and powerless to him-and she's been with him so long, always rationalizing. She even admits many women would not have stayed with him. And he treats her awful. To hell if a man ever did that to me! I feel so bad for her. I think she just never had the courage or power to leave him, after all it has been a long time, but he was always control freak and she put up with it.

I wish they would divorce. I wouldn't say this to them because it is not my business, but I see so much misery and abuse going on, I think it is more unhealthy for the family, and it isn't like they are happy together at all.

Is this a horrible thing to wish? I don't think they will divorce..but I don't know. I will not be home that much longer as I am finishing school but I also worry what will happen to my mom when her children are grown.

03

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I hear ya. Though it was kind of the inverse in my home with my mum being a psycho bitch. Eventually (Just in the last couple years) my dad divorced her and they get along a million times better. I remember saying to my sister when I was about eight years old "man, if he was smart he'd divorce that bitch", and there we have it.

I don't figure you're a bad person for wanting it to happen, but that doesn't mean it's going to.