Girls/guys, have you ever gotten back with a girl/guy you used to be very in love with?

For example, this girl I fell in love with like 6 years ago, back in college. She didn't feel the same. It was the classic friendzone, but at some point I think she was attracted to me. Then she moved to a different school. It's been a long time since then, I'm much more socially calibrated, confident, better looking, I have a good job, and overall have changed a lot since then. I haven't seen her or talked to her in years.

But she's always been the one that got away I guess. I made a lot of mistakes because I had never had a crush like her before. I recognize my faults and have worked on myself. I've had girlfriends, been with other girls, etc.

But I guess I'm asking both girls and guys, have you ever gotten back with someone like this? I always thought I'd forget about her, but nobody comes close to her.

It's not like I've stopped looking because of her. If the right girl comes along it's cool with me. But I've always wondered what are the odds we talk and get together?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• About 3 years ago, I had a close guy friend who was crazy in love with me. I friendzoned him, though at some points I did show interest. But it was confusing and caused a lot of tension in our friendship. We ended up having a big fight and splitting up.

Two years later, we met for lunch. Then we started slowly hanging out more regularly. It was clear we had both matured in many ways, and I developed feelings for him. Then in October of this year, we started dating. I fell in love with him and looked forward to spending years together with him. He was the first guy I could picture myself being with long term.

A couple months into the relationship, I felt him start to pull away. I realized that he didn't feel the same as he did 3 years ago. I could no longer take for granted that he thought I was wonderful. I became terrified that I would lose him. Sure enough, he broke off the relationship. He said he's not looking for the same things he was back then and he should have tried harder to realize that sooner, but that "he got lost in the ideal of dating the most wonderful girl he'd ever known." Sound familiar?

Anyways, it's up to you what to take from this story. Are you looking for the same qualities in a partner as you were 6 years ago? Will you always wonder if it could have worked if you don't try to get together with her? Is it better to love and lose than not to love at all?

Best of luck!