He cheated with me. How do I make it right? How do I forgive myself?

I am madly in love with my ex and I have been for the last four years. He is in a new relationship. About a week ago we slept together and then again a few days later we went dancing together and it got a little out of control (making out, feeling up) and although I didn't know for sure that he was still dating her, I didn't take the time to ask until after the damage was done. I know that what I did was selfish and wrong and there is no way to justify it. I just got lost in the moment. I have wanted him to want me back for so long that I just put everything else out of my mind. I feel absolutely horrible about it. My ex is going to come clean to his girlfriend and I was thinking of writing her a letter apologizing for it.

I know that there is no excuse for what I've done. It was a terrible thing. I feel so bad in every way possible, emotionally, physically, spiritually. I feel like a terrible human being. What can I do to make it right? Or have I done all that I can do? How do you forgive yourself after something like this?

Please don't just comment to tell me how bad this was. Trust me anything you could say I've already thought worse about myself.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh man. This is a tough subject to comment on. There is nothing that you can do to make the girlfriend feel better about this. All you can do is face the music. You can confess to her if you think it will make things better, but most likely it won't. Do what you feel would be best and let the chips fall where they may. I have a hard time keeping my personal opinion out of this, but I will commend you for taking responsibility for your actions. The damage is done, take everything one day at a time and put your efforts in to keeping on track to being the person you want to be. Best of luck to you.