BF thinking of dumping of me. Worth fighting for?

My boyfriend and I have been together for one year. I think we have a great relationship. He does too. All of a sudden he is getting "cold feet" to continue. He does this in relationships. He doesn't know when you are "suppose to know she's the one". He was sure about someone once. He was 16. It ended because she moved away. He's 32 now, still looking for that feeling.

I think a lot of people are not "sure" about the person they are with. I appreciate that he is honest about this, but at the same time, it's gut wrenching. I'm not "sure" about him either, but my approach to relationships is just figure it out. I don't have the same romantic ideals.

I have never asked him for anything. I'm 28. I want to have kids someday. He also wants to have kids. He talks about us having children all the time. We have never talked about getting married. I don't think he is interested at all. We don't live together. In fact, we live in different cities. He lives with his parents (!), so we only get to see each other once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks.

He asked me to give him a few days to sort out his feelings. I am suppose to sit on the back burner while he decides if I'm worth the effort. He says he loves me, but he doesn't have "the feeling".

I don't think he will ever have the feeling he felt at 16. He's chasing a dream. But maybe I'm wrong.

He is trying to be compassionate to me by not "leading me on". Should I be compassionate to him and let him go? It would also be compassionate to myself, free myself up to meet someone who would want to be with me. Or should I give him time to sort out his feelings and wait for him? If he committed with his heart (we've always been monogamous, no issue there), then I think we could really have a beautiful future.

All the while, this is making me feel worthless, rejected and abandoned. I don't want to feel so pathetic. I also don't want him to break up with me. I think, if he decided to put both feet in, he could be such a loving partner.

On a side, during this conversation, he made a joke. He said "Couldn't we just get you pregnant?". I responded "So you would be stuck with me?". He said "Yeah, it would be so much easier. I wouldn't have to make a choice". I laughed along, but it was heart-breaking.

01