How far does one have to go for it to be considered cheating?

i feel like the distinctions of what is cheating varies between people/couples so how far do you think someone can go before they're cheating? feel free to elaborate in the comments.
  • Cuddling
    Vote A
  • Kissing
    Vote B
  • Making out
    Vote C
  • Sex
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I picked other because cheating, IMO, is when one partner does something with another person that is not their partner and it's something that their partner wouldn't approve of when it comes to physical and emotional interactions. If I have a girlfriend and she does approve that it's okay for me to have sex with another girl then it's not cheating. If she disapproves of it, then it is cheating. Cheating also doesn't start and end with just the physical side. I think emotional cheating is worse. Anyone can become physical with anyone that they just met. Cheating is still cheating but there is a degree as to what is worse. If a girl decides to have a guy on the side that she uses because she feels that her man doesn't fill her "needs" emotionally, then she is cheating on her man. That is, if the guy would disapprove of said actions. If the guy is perfectly okay with her having him as a physical boyfriend and the other guy as an emotional boyfriend, then I wouldn't consider that cheating since they both agreed to said situations. There's really no one thing that can be determined as cheating.

Now, I think I need to clarify that I don't think it's cheating if a girl/guy has a guy/girl friend that is just a guy/girl friend. Even if her/his man/woman doesn't want her/him to talk to any other guys/girls, I don't think it's cheating if this guy/girl is really just a friend and not her/his "emotional boyfriend/girlfriend".

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• sex is cheating. but kissing cuddling and making out is just worse. people have sex with people they don't like all the time, but actually someone else while you're in a relationship is a step way too far.

6|0
    0|0
  • Any display of romantic or sexual attraction to a person who isn't your significant other is cheating. Anyone who isn't totally naive or blind can tell the difference between a friendly kiss and a romantic one, a friendly hug and romantic cuddling.

4|1
    0|0
  • I'd be jealous about any of those.

Cuddling, I couldn't see a girlfriend of mine hugging another guy (not a relative) unless they are extremely close friends (or gay) and he was consoling her when I can't be around.

Kissing is fine if it's on the cheek as I do it with my girl friend's but on the lips, no.

Making out and sex need no explanation. Blatant cheating in my eyes.

Voted C although any of them would get my vote.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have to go with other because many relationships have different standards for this. I have been asked by many married couples by their partner to get sexual with them for example. You know very well that many would consider this cheating but the these specific couples do not feel this way. It's specific to the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. if you have secrets and have to hide things.

2. if you shared emotions

3. if you blame the alcohol when you know damn well what you were doing.

4|1
    0|0
  • I think all of that is cheating.. How many of you would be comfortable with your boyfriend/girlfriend cuddling all intimate with someone else? It just feels dishonest to me. These poll results are actually quite shocking to me that as of right now 9% think sex is drawing the line.. That's the cutoff?! Then another 10% think making out is going too far but kissing isn't.. This has definitely made me think I need to be more careful with who I choose to date in the future. 20% is a huge number.

2|0
    0|0
    • I hear you.. I would never be with someone and not talk about what is considered cheating right in the beginning of the relationship

• A good rule. If you have to ask yourself whether or not what your doing is cheating, it probably is.

5|0
    0|0
  • I as usually pretty strict on this topic due to my past relationships. Usually if she hugs a guy I'm cool with it...if its a lot more than one guy? Yeah we gotta talk...

if they are cuddling I might consider it cheating because most of the time it lead to something more than that. Depends where, when, who etc you know?

If she does anything more than cuddling...then she just earned a insta-break.

0|0
    0|0
  • pretty much all of them are bad, hugging and kissing on the cheeck is okay , but not cuddling or kissing/making out

2|1
    0|0
  • For me, nothing counts as cheating because I *like* my partners to have fun with other people, and they like me to do the same. All that matters is that they use protection and that everyone has fun.

0|1
    3|1
  • Kissing is the first stage of cheating.

I wouldn't consider hugging as cheating because friends hug.

0|0
    0|0
  • I said to one of my gf's bffs that if I wasn't with my girlfriend I'd go out with her... is that bad?

0|0
    3|1
  • JUst making me doubt about it, and the SHE'S so yesterday.

0|0
    0|0
  • I won't ever feel right if my gal ever even Hugs an another guy !

I may feel burned inside !

But yeah that really depends on things !

I'll call it cheating when my gal objects me doing exactly the same thing with some other gal which she did(with some other guy) among the things described here !

So for me that would be cheating !

But yeah,I can't ever see my gal even touching other guys hands ?

If she is my true Love,she won't ever do anything of all this ! but if that's just a so called GF-BF relation then it's normal for people to even engage in sexual relationship with someone else as it's really a very natural thing !

I mean we all know that it can happen to anyone at anytime and certain of us lives in such an environment and society that should really not be an issue ! :p :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I would have voted for "all of the above" if that had been an option

1|0
    0|0
  • The lower the bar (cuddling being the lowest) the more insecure and controlling the person.

Cheating is sex. No other answer makes any sense.

1|1
    9|0
    • So...grabbing another person's ass, kissing, making out is a-ok? Seeking an emotional bond with another while you're involved with someone already is totally cool?

• It's not OKAY. I never said it was okay. Typical that the kids on this site can't tell the difference.

"Cheating" is a word with a meaning, and that meaning is not "doing something I think is not okay"

Making out with someone is making out with someone. It's wrong, it's disrespectful, and for young kids probably a good reason to break up. But it is not, by any actual definition of the word, cheating.

Let the words mean what they mean, and stop ascribing your own inadequacies to them.

• Depends.. If it's just friendly it's not cheating, but even hugging is cheating if it's romantic.. I've seen my girlfriend hugging and kissing other boys in front of me but it's just friendly so it's fine

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 30

• I said "other" because all of the options are considered cheating if it is something you wouldn't do in front of or wouldn't want your significant other the find out about. Or if you wouldn't want them to do it either. Basically anything can be considered cheating, it just depends on the intentions of the person.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think any displays of romantic affection are cheating, anything you have to hide from your significant other is wrong. If you wouldn't be okay with them doing what you're doing, its wrong. Some people have an open relationship and so certain things will be okay, as long as both people are on the same page.

1|0
    0|0
  • i'm torn between kissing and making out. because it depends on the kiss and situation. but I definitely draw the line at making out. there is no explanation that can condone making out with someone else. (I voted kissing though, because in most situations kissing someone else is already quite cheating-y imo)

0|0
    0|0
  • cuddling as friends - kinda weird and overly close but too grey area (I assume this is different from a regular or long hug from a friend which is fine)

cuddling in a cute/flirty/like each other way like on a sofa or somethign - emotional cheating

anything more than cuddling imo is cheating except a cheek kiss

0|0
    0|0
  • I consider grinding (as in the very sexually provocative dance move oftentimes performed at the club between two counterparts) as cheating. Apparently most people don't consider it to be so, but I mean...her ass rubbing all over his crotch in a rhythmic pattern, come on people. Is anybody else with me on this or am I derping all alone out here?

1|1
    0|0
    • i am not sure if I would use the word cheating, but it is certainly not something I would want my girlfriend (when I have one) to do, so I get your point.

• I wouldn't consider it cheating per se, but it's definitely inappropriate behavior for someone, who's in a relationship.

• Well, if anything is something I would want to break the relationship for. So you're in a monogamous relationship with me but go around in heat rubbing your ass on someone else's dick? Are you fucking kidding me?

• Even flirting is unacceptable if your partner isn't OK with it. So basically anything that would hurt your partner's feelings and damage their trust.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q958698-what-do-you-think-of-all-these-cheating-questions

0|0
    0|0
  • Anything more than a hug is cheating in my opinion, so yes, that includes cuddling in your poll. All of them mentioned in your poll are what I consider cheating.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm actually surprised so many people seem to draw the line at kissing. Cuddling is a super intimate thing in my opinion.. I don't think if I had a girlfriend she would be comfortable with that and I have to say that I wouldn't be either.

• Exactly! I completely agree. I wouldn't want my boyfriend cuddling with another girl.

• All of the above and also talking to her all the time in a romantic way (sex talk with another woman)

If he is treating her like she is his and this is all happening behind my back-over the internet counts too-then that's cheating. He is not being faithful to me. He's treating another woman like his partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • It totally depends on the people and on the intentions. If my boyfriend cuddle a friend, it depends on the way he does it and how it happened. If a girl kiss my boyfriend but he push her away...it's not his fault. Cheating start when you have to lie about it. Open couples won't have a problem if the other have sex.

As far as I'm concern, if my boyfriend cuddles, kiss...a girl knowing it's wrong, I think it's cheating.

0|1
    0|0
  • All of the above for me and my BF. It varies between couples a lot I am sure. My answer to this is , if you can't do it in front of your SO it's cheating.

3|0
    0|0
  • In kissing it depends how the kiss is given. The making out makes it obvious. Just be careful of not being too paranoid or an enabler (the other pole).

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it really depends on who you're in a relationship with and what sort of relationship you have. If you have an open relationship and you both have agreed on it, you could do all of the above.
    However, most people are not in relationships like that. Therefore, anything PAST cuddling (kissing, sexual contact, whatever) definitely counts as cheating. Cuddling is iffy: if it's like the romantic sort of snuggle cuddle, yeah, that counts. If it's sheerly an act between friends, it's okay.
    Just make sure your partner knows what you're doing and knows that it's a platonic, non-sexual act and everything should be set.

0|0
    0|0
  • I picked kissing. BUT I also have to add that it depends if you are drunk or not.

If both of you are drunk I think it doesn't really count as cheating.

0|0
    2|0
  • I'm going with cuddling. The only cuddling that should be going on is with your partner. If it's not your partner, then before long, there is gonna be kissingr

0|0
    0|0
  • anything you wouldn't do in front of your partner with another person, is cheating.

1|1
    0|0
  • Really all of it is wrong, but I would have to say kissing.

Now cuddling isn;t right either, but it doesn't neccesarily mean that it means anything. A kiss is ore meaningful as well as anything past it. I can understand that a kiss can be an accident, mixed feelings, and misunderstanding. As long as that person pulls away realize their mistakes explain to the other person that they do not have feelings for them, and apoligize to the person that they really love.

But, yeah a kiss is along the fence. anything after that is crossing the line in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would have to go with (E), all of the above options are cheating in my book.

0|1
    0|0
  • I clicked other. To me, talking to other people, as if you want to be with them or have sex with them is cheating to its lowest form, to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cuddling. you don't cuddle with someone if you have a gf/bf.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is emotional and physical cheating. A relationship is an investment be invested or move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Making out and touching under clothes is cheating, for me. Everyone's definition is different

0|0
    0|0
  • All of the them are cheating to me.

2|0
    0|0
  • Cuddling is cheating to me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they're all cheating.

1|0
    0|0
  • All the below is considered cheating to me

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted E. I say anything you wouldn't want your significant other to know about is cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE!

0|0
    0|0
  • kissing and serious flirting and touching

0|0
    0|0
  • Kissing

0|0
    0|0
  • That's why it's better to have an open relationship