Is it a bad idea for me to see him again?

I recently met a guy that I really like and I think the feeling is mutual. This new guy is in the military and has just been deployed for 5 months. I met him on leave before he left and although we don’t live in the same state, we talked/text for over a month and we spent a weekend together before he left the country. We’ve known each other for 2 months and we slept together for the first time during our weekend together, but we didn’t officially talk about dating. We had a really good time and we decided we wanted to see each other again when he got home after deployment. He’s been gone about a week and we have already exchanged an email each.

Meanwhile, a few days ago, another friend of mine (who I haven’t seen in a year because he moved away) wished me Happy New Year told me he had moved back. I was never intimate with this friend of mine, but we were friends and had talked about it (FWB at the time). I haven’t done something like that and he ended up moving before anything happened. Now he does want to hang out, and I think that if we do hang out, there will definitely be chemistry between us and we very well may end up sleeping together if the attraction is still there.

If I really like this first guy (and I’m hoping we can start dating when he gets home), do I just need to keep my distance from my friend? Am I technically still single, or does our weekend together with the first guy (and the fact we’ve slept together) imply that we are together? The last thing I want to do is jeopardize anything with this first guy. But should I explore what is could be with my friend who I have history with?

10