So my parents are getting divorced...any advice for me?

Alright so my parents are getting divorced pretty soon, my mom is giving my dad the separation papers this Tuesday.

Long story short my mom is not happy with my dad and hasn't for a while and she just can't take it anymore.

For the past month my dad has been telling me about things about that he shouldn't have been telling me. Pretty talking about things but making it should like its my moms fault for literally EVERYTHING. So he's been putting me in the middle of everything. I Haven't heard anything from my mom and released the things my dad have been telling me are not even close to being true. So I'm on my moms side with everything and just lost trust for my dad.

So for people who have been in this kind of situation or their parents getting divorced as well...do you have any advice for me?

Thanks in advanced

85

Most Helpful Girl

• Honey. The worst part of parents divorcing is what your dad did. The children have nothing to do with the divorce. They should be told only what they need to know. But parents will bad talk another parent. Making you feel like you need to choose sides. But, for your father, he is probably afraid that you will hate him, he failed at marriage which can be demasculating. He doesn't want to lose his children too. It's a painful time for him. Doesn't excuse him talking about things he shouldn't. It's just his way of defending his position as your father. He may feel he failed his kids too. Don't chose sides. You need to just tell your dad that what he has said hurt you and you don't wsnt him or your mom talking bad about each other. You just wsnt a relationship with him. I don't know what happened in their relationship. But this is a painful time for him and her. You are not responsible for being the councilor. Your job is being the child. As a divorced parent, my children were never thrown in the middle. They saw their father, and now that they are teens they make their own decisions. I just support and love them.

How do you feel about the divorce? How had this affected you? Do you have someone to talk to about this? Divorce sucks, but it sucks even more when parents drag their kids into it. Don't be afraid to speak your mind. But always be respectful they are always going to be your parents.

• Yeah I have plenty of friends to talk to over things. IT really only effected me (at first) that I couldn't sleep for a couple nights (my long term girlfriend broke up with me shortly after they brought up the idea of divorce so it sucked even more haha) For me rn I'm kinda excited that my mom is gonna be happy because she hasn't for a long time. I still love my dad and all but he just been a jerk to my mom for the longest time. Thank you for the advice it means a lot :)

• Anytime hun. I have kids ranging from preteen to early 20's. They are all well adjusted. Sometimes the worst part of divorce is the fact that there will be 2 households. But, you acknowledged the most important factor here. The fact your mom will be happy. She loves you, more than you will know. Don't be afraid to speak your mind and confide in your mom or dad. You will be on amazing person when you are all grown up.

• Thanks again :)