Graduating college--do I move to a new city with my BF?

My boyfriend and I have only been dating since October, so the relationship is still pretty new. Everything has been really great so far, but I feel like I might be holding back just a touch because I know that we may not have that much time together, so I don't want to get too attached. We are both college seniors that are graduating in May. After college my boyfriend is moving back home to Washington DC because he is a political science major and its the best city for his career. I can start a career anywhere in the US, so I have a lot more freedom. Many of my friends are going to be in DC or along the east coast, so it's pretty tempting for me to move to DC to be with him and my friends. The only thing is that my family is far away on the west coast and I'm worried (on the off chance) that the relationship doesn't make it through the transition I will be sad that I'm so far from my family. On the other side, I'm not ready to let go of this relationship and want to see where it goes. I don't have much to lose, so why not give it a try? Has anyone done this or have any advice?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• Moving your entire life for a 3 month boyfriend, why are you actually considering this question? When you get to DC your careers will take you different directions, at different hours. You will be the new person on a new job and get the worst jobs/shift. He will be in the same boat as you. Your relationship will be strained by this and have you actually seen how he does in a non-scholastic, working environment? The cost of living versus the pay at the bottom rung of the ladder is going to slap you in the face. There are tons of Pol-Sci majors in DC who are waiting tables, just as there are actors in LA doing the same. Your friends are going to be pulled different directions and you will probably not see much of them. Please pardon this overly used expression, many young people go off to the big city and end up coming back home when they don't make it and God help you if you turn up pregnant. Consider that your family, at least, claims that they love you and will most likely let you stay with them until you can afford to get on your own feet or your own place. Ask yourself the really hard questions.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know you are right, which is what's stressing me out. I have struggled for so long--dating the wrong guys, not finding anyone that I "click" with. But my current boyfriend is everything I've been looking for and I'm really not wanting to let that go. I'm trying to be practical and not get too attached, but I don't want to let it go quite yet. I mean, I have other reasons to move to DC besides him such as a good job and other friends there. I'm just sad that I met him this late in the game..

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes