What is the difference in a guys mind in breakin up and taking a break?

Whats the difference in breakin up and taking a break? In a guys mind.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• if he can't respect you, or comprehend his own motives enough to discuss this 'break' with you sufficiently to extinguish any confusion on your part, then he's a joke and you should dump him.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• Well I obviously can't speak for all guys. To me breaking up is a complete disconnect. You are no longer together, you are free to do as you will and cut communication with the other person. A break being you're still together, and seeing other people would still be considered cheating. A break is a way of figuring things out on your own side if you've hit a rough patch and want to spend some time alone to decide whether or not you really want to be with this person.

1|0
    0|0
    • Dude I can guarantee you taking a break and breaking up are the one in the same my girl said I think we need to take a break and never looked back. Even sent me this lovely text message saying I think we need to take a break I don't want any strings attached to hold me back.

• Show All
    • Thank you!

• No worries

• For me taking a break means there were bad things done, but nothing that isn't possible to recover from after, a short separation, to leave the both of us the time to think, recognize, and apologize where needed.

Breaking-up means it's not going to work at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • There's really no difference if you ask me. Once someone says "we're on a break", that tells me that their relationship is over.

3|0
    0|0
  • There is no difference and I hate it when women say lets take a break lets be honest its just a nicer excuse for I'm leaving you. In my opinion just say what you mean.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't believe in "taking a break." Any woman I'm with is with me by her own choice, every day. She is free to leave at any time, and knowing this reminds me to make sure I give her reasons to stay.

BUT... my "exit door" is a one-way door. If she walks out that door, there is no way back in. No breaks, no "pauses". If we have an issue, we work it out together.

The very idea of "a break" is absurd, and very few relationships survive them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would think that if my GF wants a break she wants space to think about an issue that is bothering her. I also think their is only a 20% chance that the relationship is over. in my opinion taking a break is stupid. It's OUR relationship and we should be solving issues together not apart.

Break up is that we're done for good.

PS no you can't have sex with other people during a break. If you want to have sex with other people break up with me, but I'm not taking you back after.

1|0
    0|0
  • Breaking up is an absolute certainty that I no longer want to be in a relationship with this person. Taking a break means I might want to distance myself for a time to try and understand my feelings. It's been my observation, however, that "taking a break" is a prelude to breaking up in over half the cases I've known.

0|0
    0|0
  • breaking up means she is honest, taking a break means she is a slut

0|1
    0|0
    • Thank you!

• best answer thanks, but also consider that if you break up and come back is just as bad as taking a break, unless you didn't go with anyone else while separated

• Ok don't call me an ass after this but when I do that, its "Ok you know what bitch? Your ass just got boring now, Ima go bang more asses and when Your ass appear less boring again. Ill come back <3" and then words come out much nicer like "Babe, I think we need a break and sort things out..."

0|0
    0|0
  • to me, there is no difference. they are equally as painful.

1|0
    0|0
  • no difference what so ever due to my past relationships where a break is meaning "im going to go bang another dude really quick..but I'm not cheating on you right?" pisses me of so much

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on if he still likes you or not.. Taking a break could me he still likes you, and wants things to get better so maybe spending some time away will really help

0|0
    0|0
  • In my personal experience there are only two situations that would call for "taking a break" as opposed to breaking up. And in one of those two situations it eventually leads to a break-up.

1. One of the people is being too "clingy"/overbearing and not giving enough personal space to the other, so they take a break until the "clingy" person learns their lesson (I really hate the word clingy by the way and don't really believe in it).

2. One of the two people involved has feelings for someone else and wants an opportunity to see how things might work out with them. Maybe they go back, maybe they don't. Usually not, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • BreaKing up;fucking every girl that asks. Taking a break; doing nothing with any other girl, and just doing life alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oatmeal?

0|0
    0|0
  • No difference to me, it just means "I'm breaking up with you."

1|0
    0|0
  • Taking a break does not always mean splitting up, but this is where you need to establish what he really means, its a break or are you splitting up, because a break means no other guys can move on you until a split has been agreed lol, so either you make the decision to split when he asks for a break, because this means he has limited emotions and respect for you, but doesn't want to lose you in case nothing better comes along, so you would need to say, fuck the break, your dumped,x

0|0
    0|0
  • Taking a break - I need space, and not the sort of space you normally feel comfortable giving me while we're still in a relationship. I need more space than that. So we go on a break, you go your way, I'll go mine, maybe we'll see other people, maybe not, but when I'm ready we'll get back together again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Breaking up in my mind is that the relationship is over and we will never get back together. Taking a break in my mind means that the relationship is over and there is a possibility for us getting back together, but we are officially separated and are free to date other people.

Basically, taking a break would be ending a relationship on good terms.

At the end of the day, they both mean the same thing. That is, the relationship is done and over with.

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree with BCRanger10 - there's no difference.

However I if were to say it, it would mean "Whoohooo, now I'm gonna have sex with many females; and when I'm done after a few months, I'll phone up my ol' girlfriend" ...a bastards move really

1|0
    0|0
  • they both mean the same thing if a girl tells a guy that... they don't want you anymore and they are trying to find excuses to be rid of ya

0|1
    0|0
    • Pretty much ya of course women play mind games so much its hard to know just what exactly they want or don't want I'm not even sure they themselves know what they want.

• Thank you!

What Girls Said 4

• I think that if you can sleep with others in the meantime, it's not a break, but a breakup

Breaks are taking a weekend or a week to calm down and remember why you want to be together *(if you still do).

If you sleep with other people, what's the point of "getting back together". that sounds more like a hall pass...

Also, the disparity in opinions here is scary. What if one person thinks it's a full breakup and the other thinks it's just a brief time-out (as in still exclusively together)? That could create a whole lot of extra hurt.

1|0
    0|0
  • In practical terms:

Breaking up - relationship is over

Taking a break - intention to get back together, but can sleep with others/etc in the meantime

0|0
    0|0
  • Breaking up - means you are completely finished with the person and do not intend to get back together with them.

Taking a break - (You are uncertain if whether you and your partner will be getting back together). You need time to sort things out and come to a decision.

Sometimes when people are "on a break" they still do not have intercourse with any one else. They just use this time to clear their head and really think about things.

Where as breaking up, you can enter into another relationship almost immediately if you choose to because you do not plan to get back with your ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • taking a break is temporary

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes