Is it weird to still be friends with your ex?

I broke up with my ex the day before new years eve because he got way too clingy and over protective (among other things) but we ended on a good note... Talked things out and we're still really good friends. We're still talking a lot and we still go to each other when we need advice or anything and we still hang out. I don't have any feelings towards him anymore but some of my friends think it's weird and awkward that I had out with my ex and say that I'm leading him on. They say it's more normal if I gave him a break after the break up and slowly become friends again but instead I went straight from relationship to friends.

Do you think it's weird?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's necessarily weird, but I can say from experience that being friends with ex's (9 out of 10 times) never works. There is usually always someone who is still interested in the other person, and is just holding on to this "friendship" to still be close to the person.

But if you two are really just friends, I say ignore what other people are saying. It isn't their life or decision.

0|0
    0|0
    • It never works because you are playing Russian Roulette by hanging around somebody that you KNOW you are attracted to. The few times that it does work are usually because the opportunity never properly presented itself.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Well if you don't have any feelings for him, why are you his friend in the first place?

How can an ex move on that fast anyway, enlighten me please?!

It's weird because you want to hang out with him, but you broke up with him. It gives him the message that you still care on some level.

0|0
    0|0
    • Call me selfish but I stopped liking him a month before we broke up and I thought long and hard about it for that whole month especially because he went on holidays during that period as well so clearly space didn't really help...

• I see, well why the need of wanting to hang out with him then?

• I'd say it's not a good idea. My policy with exes is to break up in a friendly manner whenever possible, but to never remain friends.

It's highly likely that one of you is still attracted or interested, or will feel this way again at some point. It's not worth the headache in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• If he still harbors feelings for you then it isn't such a great idea... It isn't fair to him as he will be always expecting you to get back to him... You need to let him go even as a friend..

If he shares the same thoughts as you do and there is no awkwardness then nobody to judge go ahead enjoy your friendship! :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes