Ex said he wants to be friends, but is afraid to talk to me?

So my boyfriend broke up with me a month ago, saying that he no longer felt "emotionally connected". I'm not sure if that is the real reason, but I have no way to find out either way. He said he hoped that we could be friends, but I thought he was just trying to set me down gently. Anyways, we have not spoken at all since then. I've been trying to act like nothing is bothering me when I see him at school, but it has been really difficult.

Last week, he was talking with a mutual friend, and he told her that he felt terrible for dumping me then avoiding me and that he really wants to be friends, but that he is afraid to talk to me. Why would he be afraid to talk to me if he was the one that broke up with me? What does it all mean?

12

Most Helpful Girl

• I had an ex ask me if we could be friends because he "still needed to keep me close to him" I told him that we could be friends, someday in the future. Point is, he really hurt your feelings, and if you try and be friends with him now it won't be good, it might cause you more trouble and pain than it's worth, because then you'll be hanging around with someone that hurt you and it can def. be awkward. Maybe the two of you can be friends down the road but for now, let yourself heal, be polite to one another but other than that... and he's probs afraid to talk to you because he knows that he hurt you, he could be ashamed at what he did. Hope this helps, good luck.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE