Dilemma:ex e-mailed me. Can you truly love 2 people at once?

I have moved on 6 months ago I started a new relationship. This is the first boyfriend I've had since my ex. The only reason we broke up was because he went to prison for 13 years. I started having dreams about him and then all of a sudden he emailed me out of no where. Not a good time to email someone when they are suddenly dreaming about you. So now I'm scared that I'm not ready for my current relationship that I will not lie has moved incredibly fast we are already living together. I did email my ex back but I did tell him I can only give him friendship right now and I guess that's all he wants. I suppose people in prison need friends too. And I definitely miss his friendship. But now I have realized that I haven't lost my love for him. People say if you truly love someone you will never fall out of love with that person. Maybe this is one of those instances. Maybe, I should just be happy with what I have and stop thinking about what I had. He made a bad decision and now he's paying for it including the fact that he lost me. But then again I can't help who I love. If I am still in love with him though should I be in this relationship/? You can't love 2 people at once can you?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Woah! Don't you think it's amazing that you were having dreams about him, then he e-mailed you? Anyway, yes I do think you can love two guys at once. There are probably different reasons that you love each of them, which makes it hard to say whether or not you should be in a relationship with the current guy or not. I mean, if you broke up with the current guy, would you regret your decision? Would you continue thinking about him like you are with the other guy? If you don't think you would miss him, then of course you should break up with him. If you would, then you should probably stay with him. Now, with the other guy who is in prison, you probably haven't seen him in person for a while, right? I think what will confirm your feelings for him is to see him in person. He may be the same guy that you fell in love with, he may not. He may be someone you can't stand to look at now, or he may seem like someone who you would like to have around as a friend. E-mails and texts are very tricky, because you don't see the body language of the other person, and you don't hear the tone in their voice. The real reason why the guy in jail contacted you may still be a mystery to you, but you should probably try to find it out soon. Maybe he contacted you to see if you still cared for him?