Did I make a mistake breaking up?

I broke up with my boyfriend of three years on accounts that he isn't taking initiative with moving out of his parents house and he tends to show less effort when it comes to making me feel special (writing me handwritten letters, flowers etc.)

i'm at a point in my life right now where I need to know that he is serious about me and understands my needs. I think I have done everything I can to communicate things to him but regardless of those things he's a wonderful boyfriend and I feel empty without him

11