Am I wrong for breaking up with her?

I have been dating this girl for several months, I really enjoyed our time together. I could even say I was falling in love with her.
I also happen to be very close friends with a very attractive girl, who I've been friends with since we were 5, so just shy of 20 years. My family practically raised her due issues with her own family so I have come to see her as the sister I never had. She moved to another state for a job about 2 years ago. I talk to her about 2 or 3 times a week.
Anyways 2 weeks ago my friend called me crying because she caught her boyfriend with another girl, I spent 2 hours on the phone with her calming her down and comforting her. My girlfriend got extremely angry with me upon telling her the next day about what happen, saying that I should cut her from my life, and she needs to learn how to live with out me. I told her that wasn't going to happen.
After enduring 2 weeks of hearing snide remarks about my friend from her hoping that she would just drop it, I finally confronted her about it, asking her why she was acting the way she was... She claimed that now since my friend was single that she was one day going to steal me away... I told my girlfriend that if my friend and I wanted to be together we had nearly 20 years to do so, but we didn't... I assured her that she wasn't going to steal me away, but she asked me to prove it by dropping her as a friend... So I told my now ex girlfriend to leave and that I will never allow anyone to put me into that kind of situation... And that we were breaking up and that I wanted all communication to cease as soon as she walked out the door. Am I wrong for breaking up with her, or should of I told my girlfriend to deal with it and have let her make the decision to leave?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, im going to be quite rude about your now, ex girlfriend. But she was being quite the jealous bitch. She is insecure about herself, and thats mostly why you had the issue with her over your friend. I think you did the right thing, would you want someone that jealous to be in you life that in one conversation you would have weeks of consequence? Its called "Putting Your Big Girl Panties ON and gettig OVER IT."

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Its never wrong to break up with anyone for any reason (at least that's my opinion.) If you are not happy in the relationship then it is your right to break up with the person. The only thing that could be "wrong" about breaking up with someone, is if your standards are so high that you'll never be happy, and then you'll have to do some soul searching but even then you should not feel compelled to stay with someone you don't want to be with.

0|0
    0|0
  • No you did the right thing. It's never okay to put your partner in that kind of situation where you are asking them to sacrifice a valuable friendship just so that they can have peace of mind. It's selfish. If a boyfriend had to do this with me and demanded that I end a friendship with another close guy friend I'd also dump his ass. Your ex girlfriend sounds very insecure, needy and as I already mentioned, selfish. She pretty much also tried to emotionally blackmail you with her snide remarks which is another very immature thing to do. You aren't wrong no and I would have done the same if the situation was reversed.

0|0
    0|0
  • She's over possessive and needs to let you make your own decisions. Bros before hoes (you get what I mean). If she really loves you she will except that you have your own life and friends that she doesn't get a say in. rightfully so. And on the other hand you shouldn't get a say in her friend choices either. Obviously warn her if there's a particular friend your worried about her being friends with but that's not what we are talking about. My main point is you've known this friend of your since you were 5 and practically grew up with her, she's like family. Your girlfriend is being an immature, overly obsessive, bitch. You don't need that.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• You did what you felt was right, I would have done the same I would never want to lose my long term friend over jealousy or insecurity of my partner

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes