Am I wrong for breaking up with her?

I have been dating this girl for several months, I really enjoyed our time together. I could even say I was falling in love with her.
I also happen to be very close friends with a very attractive girl, who I've been friends with since we were 5, so just shy of 20 years. My family practically raised her due issues with her own family so I have come to see her as the sister I never had. She moved to another state for a job about 2 years ago. I talk to her about 2 or 3 times a week.
Anyways 2 weeks ago my friend called me crying because she caught her boyfriend with another girl, I spent 2 hours on the phone with her calming her down and comforting her. My girlfriend got extremely angry with me upon telling her the next day about what happen, saying that I should cut her from my life, and she needs to learn how to live with out me. I told her that wasn't going to happen.
After enduring 2 weeks of hearing snide remarks about my friend from her hoping that she would just drop it, I finally confronted her about it, asking her why she was acting the way she was... She claimed that now since my friend was single that she was one day going to steal me away... I told my girlfriend that if my friend and I wanted to be together we had nearly 20 years to do so, but we didn't... I assured her that she wasn't going to steal me away, but she asked me to prove it by dropping her as a friend... So I told my now ex girlfriend to leave and that I will never allow anyone to put me into that kind of situation... And that we were breaking up and that I wanted all communication to cease as soon as she walked out the door. Am I wrong for breaking up with her, or should of I told my girlfriend to deal with it and have let her make the decision to leave?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, im going to be quite rude about your now, ex girlfriend. But she was being quite the jealous bitch. She is insecure about herself, and thats mostly why you had the issue with her over your friend. I think you did the right thing, would you want someone that jealous to be in you life that in one conversation you would have weeks of consequence? Its called "Putting Your Big Girl Panties ON and gettig OVER IT."

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE