Honestly is it possible to be friends with an ex? If so, how?

I only know one friend who has managed to stay long term good friends with her ex boyfriend from a serious relationship. I know it's not possible for everyone but if you have done this please advise! Or if you have some general guidelines on what requirements there are to accomplish such a task. My ex really wants to be friends and sometimes I think it can work and sometimes seems impossible. We were in a serious committed relationship for over 6 years but amicably decided to part ways because of mutual reasons. We get along for the most part but he knows exactly how to get under my skin (obviously) and we get in arguments about the way things should be now as friends. We have been broken up for over a year.

11