How have you coped being friends with an ex?

My ex and I want to be friends. And why not? We get along great. The problem is there are residual feelings and attraction still there. We have taken time apart, but we missed each others company. We have emotional hiccups. One day we'll be chatting like the good old days and having a great time. Then the next time it'll feel awkward. Like we'll start flirting and then realize that it's a bad idea and end up not really knowing what to say to each other. It'll feel like half our conversation is taboo. But then by the time we talk next we're back to "normal."

I don't know about him, but for me, it's hard to bounce back sometimes. I admit that I still like him more than a friend, but I'll always feel that way. It's complicated, but I'm sure the situation isn't unique. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? How did you cope with it? Did it get easier?

I should add that I'm not looking to rid him out of my life. We've both been through a lot together and he's the closest friend I have.
3
1