Do you tell people you broke up w/someone?

I recently broke up w/my b/f... People ask how I am... or maybe they might ask about him. Do I need to tell people we broke up? I don't have secrets and don't care but I find it awkward. I'm a private person, I don't even go into detail w/my family and they didn't really ask to much. When they ask how is he, do I just disclose it and now to make it short and sweet? Thanks

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't normally go out of my way to tell people. I'm just not one to really talk about myself all that much. But if people do ask just tell the truth, and keep it short and sweet.

Something like, "im not sure if you heard or not, but X and I aren't together anymore. I'm doing really well though, thanks for asking! How have you been?"

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks, I'm the same way...

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 4

• I'm with you girl, I didn't make it public when I broke up with my ex. However, it is impossible to avoid every single "so, how is ____ doing?" Usually I'd just put on a smile (even if I had to force a fake one) and say "we're actually not together anymore". When the other person would look embarrassed or apologize, I'd just brush it off with a "don't worry about it" and then quickly change the subject to get on to something easier to talk about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh girl, been there... done that. I'm private with stuff as well, and when I was in a similar situation, I would just tell people with a smile,"He is doing very well... very well." And then I would immediately start asking that person about themselves (because everyone likes talking about themselves to a certain extent), and it would work... EVERY time. They would stop talking about him, and we would completely be on to another subject. :) Try it!

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had friends who will personally announce it to their friends as a kind of heads up to keep them in the loop. very short and sweet.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it comes up I'll just tell them... usually I try not to make it a big deal, because it's not (unless it was something more serious or long-term, but most of my break-ups haven't been too bad or anything).

I'm like you, I don't really talk about this stuff with my family either. Again, unless someone asks, then I'll tell them briefly about what they want to know.

If someone asks about him, just tell them you aren't seeing him anymore, or that you're out of contact, something like that should get the message across. People usually don't pry too much, the most they might ask is "What happened?" and then depending how you respond they'll either drop the subject or let you know they're there to talk if you need it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes