Should I apologize or is she already over me?

Don't read this long description if you don't want to take the time out. Its only a background that will give some insight. Just scroll to the bottom.
So it's been almost a year and a half since I broke up with my now ex-girlfriend, but I still haven't apologized. I've been too afraid to confront her. I didn't break up with her because I disliked her, but only because I just felt like we weren't a good enough fit. She wanted a future and I couldn't imagine myself being with her for the rest of my life, so I ended it before she got anymore attached than she already was. She was a really really nice girl with a pure heart and we would do volunteer work together from time to time. I was actually the one crying when I broke up with her because 1) it was my first relationship and first time breaking up with someone and 2) I didn't want to break her heart because she was such a nice girl. It was an unpleasant experience. After the breakup her whole family hated me even though they loved me before, but I can understand why. However, her parents seem to be cool with me again now.
Main point and question is; should I go and apologize now even though we haven't spoken for 1 1/2 years? Or has she forgotten about me and pushed any memories to the back of her mind? I feel like I should've apologized much sooner and that she deserves it.

130

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been the girl in a similar situation. There's no reason why you shouldn't apologize, as it's never too late to do that and give her at least some closure. She probably hasn't forgotten you or the memories you guys share, but I think hoping to go back to where you guys last finished off would be much too complicated.

For one, if her family dislikes you, that leaves your potential relationship ill-fated from the start. Also, despite the fact that you apologized and she's had time to 'get over it' and move on, there's a pretty high chance that she still will always have a chip on her shoulder towards you and whatever happened. I don't know how long you guys were together or how serious things got, but that's how I feel in my situation. My guy also apologized about 1.5 years later which I appreciated for giving SOME closure, but regardless I wish he would just leave me alone. I was actually sort of mad that he came waltzing back in thinking he'll apologize so long after the fact, when I had made so much progress in getting over him and thing I'll just greet him with open arms.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I'm not trying to get back together and the thought never entered my mind since I already have a girlfriend that I am serious with. I just saw her family the other day when I was out and it got me thinking about whether I should apologize now or not. And her family is cool with me now, its her that I'm unsure of. So with this information, should I apologize or not?

• Yea, I think there's no harm in apologizing. You don't want to burn any bridges, right? :P