My boyfriend went out with ex without telling me?

To be fair though,
a. she lives across the country!
b. they broke up years ago
c. we now live together and are happy
d. and he sees her only when we visit our hometown

AAAAND everytime he suggests I meet her i get kinda upset. THe first time I said firmly NO and he didn't see her either (even though i told him to go by himself if he wants, duh) and this time, a year later, i wanted to meet her but i was nervous and he just went without telling me!!

He said he did it to I woulnd't be in a difficult spot trying to decide what to do again.

He apologised for doing it a million times.

I DON"T GET HOW EXs CAN BE FRIENDS AND TALK ABOUT THEIR RELATIONSHIPS AND ACT LIKE THEY NEVER DATED!!!

Any tips before I become a crazy jealous gf? We've talked about all this, yes. He says they're friends just like with anybody else HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? I feel like he put her above our relationship...
  • EXs CAN be friends (and even talk about bf/gf)
  • Exs CANNOT be friends
I forgot to say that they are friends because they both have a health issue and i understand that they care about each other plus she helped him when he was at his worst back in the day..

32

Most Helpful Guy

• I do think exes can be friends. If you've moved on then the romantic feelings are gone but there's still care and a certain bond. I think they make the best possible friends really; although clearly not always. I mean it doesn't sound like he puts her above your relationship, although he definitely should have told you about it. He does seem sorry though.

It's just a matter of trust really on your part, which I'm not saying is wrong. But I do think it's believable that ex's can be friends.

• Thanks for your answer, but I still can't get it around my head, how can two people who have slept together etc just be friends? And not flirt or whatever? And the fact that I was upset before our trip and he just went ahead and did whatever he felt like, i mean, that shows me a need on his part to see her! which makes me feel tiny... It's just that it's the first time i'm like living with someone and i feel hesitant now, all these "what ifs..." And the more i talk about this with him, the more he feels like i don't trust him, so i stopped. but my head is full of questions, you know?
      thanks for the good points you made! broccoli is good for us

• You know I don't know the guy so I couldn't say if he's really over her; but my feeling about it, from what it's worth, is that it seems like it. I think it's more an issue between the two of you and it doesn't really have to do with her. What it shows to me is a need for more openness. There's a good chance he didn't tell you because while he knows it's harmless, he also knows you don't believe him and don't trust him with her. Now that's not right, don't get me wrong, but it's understandable. And so are your doubts really, so like you know be a couple and talk about it and figure it out. She's just a distraction from the real issues.

• Those are very good points! Because moving in together was a big move, and his health issue worries me too... So it's other things too that are building up... If only i could get her out of my head! Imll talk, thanks:)