How do you define cheating in a relationship?

Every relationship has their own "rules" about what is and what isn't acceptable behavior. So how do you define cheating in general, or what are some of the "rules" in your relationship? Do you and your partner both agree on what constitutes as cheating? Type away!

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• For me its any form of intimate/romantic physical contact with another person, guy or girl. the only exception i have of this is if im dating a particularly kinky girl, i am ok with her having play sessions with someone else so long as there is no sex of any kind, with the understanding that there might be some nudity during the play session.

if you can compartmentalize thing, you can maybe forgive physical cheating in any form its a one time drunken mistake, and they truly regret it. if they are clear headed and knew exactly what they were doing, then not so much.

emotional cheating is something totally different. if they have emotionally given themselves to someone else, then chances are they have fallen out of love with you, and thats not something you come back from.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• Maybe my definition is extreme but basically it can be emotional and or physical. If my girlfriend did anything beyond what she would do with someone who is just a friend is cheating and anything that is in the realm of this is what couples do is cheating. I also feel emotionally wanting someone else but staying with your current partner is cheating because it's not fair to your bf or gf that you and not with them emotionally. It makes trying to connect and figure out problems so much harder.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd define cheating as being with another person other than your partner either physically or sexually , but not just say talking to another person or being friends with them but you know taking things to the next level.

0|0
    0|0
  • flirting with another guy is not cool but also not the end of the world, kissing on the mouth and anything further is cheating. dancing is ok as long as it is for fun and not a grope fest.

0|0
    0|0
  • A general rule of thumb, if you have to ask whether or not something is considered cheating, it probably is

1|0
    0|0
  • Difficult to answer. Sometimes I get these guilt trips that even being here on GAG with her not having any idea about GAG is cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • sex with someone not you (includes kissing) but hugging could be ok.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think cheating is having sex or making excessive physical contact with someone other than your partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anything that involves feelings i guess is cheating. it can be a simple Kiss on the cheek for a birthday present from a work colleague.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that cheating is a silly concept. I've abandoned it. While I respect the boundaries of others on the issue I don't hold anyone to any particulars on this behavior. I do like to know if there are other sexual partners but that is as far as questioning goes simply for health reasons.

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 5

• well, for me, it's doing something romantic and/or sexual with someone else other than your partner. And yes, flirting counts because that's where things start.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you start sexting with someone who is not you partner. Sex with someone who is not your partner. Kissing someone who is not your partner. In short if you feel it is creating thin it's cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • I define it as: engaging in behavior with someone else (gender doesn't matter since there are bi-sexual people) with the intention of replacing bonds, intimacy, privacy, sex, commitment, etc. in your current relationship with someone else.

This is NOT about just having a friend and spending time with or talking to them. This is about the strong bonds that make a relationship what it is and ruining them on purpose or not.

Relationships are built on trust. Some people have trust issues because of past experiences which make them a little more jealous or untrusting than most. I'm also not referring to not being able to 'have any friends' because your boyfriend doesn't trust you. That's their problem. But if you go off and flirt otherwise seek that 'kind' of attention from people other than your boyfriend, then it's cheating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Stepping out of boundaries that you both set for each other. Each relationship has different boundaries.

0|0
    0|0
  • First off you have to know each others personalities. I tend to come off as flirty all the time but that is just my personality, I am friendly with everyone. But, if for me if you are thinking about anyone else or considering them being better than your boyfriend/girlfriend then you probably are in the wrong relationship. I always go by the idea of if there are two guys go with the second, because the first one wasn't the right one if he didn't keep your attention.
    For an example of what I mean, I had a friend who cheated on her boyfriend twice physically and then a third time, even though she doesn't consider it a third time, when she was telling us for weeks how she was sad she couldn't be with another guy because she was in a relationship.
    In all honesty it should be something you talk about with your significant other and you guys decide on.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes