College romances never last. True or false?

My human relations management professor digressed during her lecture today, claiming that college romances rarely last after college, because we change too much after we graduate.

The theory is, humans understand themselves only through others, we see ourselves through the looking glass of others. Between college and the workforce, the people we interact with are often very different, and we start to have different impressions of ourselves and the world around us. We are no longer what we are in college, and you can find yourself strangers.

Essentially, your personality, your priorities and your views change so much in transit from college and work, and you fall out of love as a result.

Do you think it's true that college romances never last? And do you think this is the reason why?
  • True
    Vote A
  • False
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• People make of it what they will. Some come up with bullshit excuses like having changed too much but that's all superficial. Maybe they were looking for someone with more money, better looks, maybe they just wanted to whore around, who knows?

People used to get married with high school sweethearts and there HAD to be couples that were happy about it, only because expectations aren't as high as they are today. So, with that said, if you have a college girl I suggest you try and keep her. The last thing you want is some superficial, gold-digging "professional" that sees you as a paycheck rather than a soul mate. Why do you think there are so many professional athletes that marry women they knew from high school or college? They expect the relationship to be more genuine. Take a look at RGIII.

0|0
    1|0
    • that's not the only reason for people marrying their teenage romances. One can also argue that people were more family-orientated in the past. They believed that as a good son/daughter they should find their partner and marry early.

Athletes, I presume having a smaller social circle than most (how many cute girls can you meet as an athelete?), may simply turn towards their old romances as they were the most accessible.

• smaller social circle? how many cute girls can you meet as an athlete? Dude... are you kidding?

• Oh wait. I thought you were referring to international athletes (what with Sochi Olympics and all).

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• No clue because my school is a culinary school and everyone kind of either drops out or only does 2 years only XD. It is always a possibility for some people I assume but I've had mainly fwbs relationships for most of my college careers

0|0
    0|0
    • Just for curiosity's sake, what's the gender ratio like in a culinary school haha

• It's pretty even for the first 2 years then after that most people are female in the food device management type

• My brother is still with his girlfriend. They don't always last but it's not impossible.

0|0
    0|0
  • They'll always meet up somebody better after graduating.

0|0
    0|0
  • What yaddayadda said. It can happen, but generally relationships get complicated with any life change.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• College romances rarely last because humans tend to go to college when under 25 and graduate at around 25. What is really happening is that this is when your rationale area of the brain fully forms so the whimsical self of the past 7 years ago dies and like a butterfly from a cocoon a new creature with new insight is born. Generally speaking these changes divert from what made the couple fall in love in the first place.

The transitions of life generally aren't what tear people apart though in my opinion. It's the transitions of the self that do.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's true too, though the theory is that the change in self was motivated by the change in environment.

• I want to say that the environment itself doesn't change all that much. The reason I say that is because if you are a couple going through college but don't live on campus, so in an apartment etc., your way of life actually changes very, very little. Homelife is what I would expect to have the greatest impact so unless homelife is drastically overturned there's some element missing that explains the environmental change.

• I wouldn't say 'never', but certainly it's not the norm for romances to last any major life change... from HS to college, from college to 'the real world', etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • of my close friends (about 7 or 8) four of them married a girl they were dating in college

so in my experience it's definitely false to say college romance doesn't last after college

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say False. At least with my experiences with friends most of them have met their significant others in college, and most have been married for some time now.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes