College romances never last. True or false?

My human relations management professor digressed during her lecture today, claiming that college romances rarely last after college, because we change too much after we graduate.

The theory is, humans understand themselves only through others, we see ourselves through the looking glass of others. Between college and the workforce, the people we interact with are often very different, and we start to have different impressions of ourselves and the world around us. We are no longer what we are in college, and you can find yourself strangers.

Essentially, your personality, your priorities and your views change so much in transit from college and work, and you fall out of love as a result.

Do you think it's true that college romances never last? And do you think this is the reason why?
  • True
  • False

45

Most Helpful Guy

• People make of it what they will. Some come up with bullshit excuses like having changed too much but that's all superficial. Maybe they were looking for someone with more money, better looks, maybe they just wanted to whore around, who knows?

People used to get married with high school sweethearts and there HAD to be couples that were happy about it, only because expectations aren't as high as they are today. So, with that said, if you have a college girl I suggest you try and keep her. The last thing you want is some superficial, gold-digging "professional" that sees you as a paycheck rather than a soul mate. Why do you think there are so many professional athletes that marry women they knew from high school or college? They expect the relationship to be more genuine. Take a look at RGIII.

• that's not the only reason for people marrying their teenage romances. One can also argue that people were more family-orientated in the past. They believed that as a good son/daughter they should find their partner and marry early.

Athletes, I presume having a smaller social circle than most (how many cute girls can you meet as an athelete?), may simply turn towards their old romances as they were the most accessible.

• smaller social circle? how many cute girls can you meet as an athlete? Dude... are you kidding?

• Oh wait. I thought you were referring to international athletes (what with Sochi Olympics and all).