Should I talk to my ex boyfriend or not?

My ex and i were going out for a whole year. He and i were deeply in love, everyone could see it. We're both 20 and 21, good kids, we don't party we're just really mellow and g=have good heads on our shoulders.

My ex wants to be a paramedic firefighter. In order to do that, he has to take an emt course. Well he's taken it twice already- failed both times. He's the breadwinner of the household really because his dad's too lazy to look for a job and his mom can't provide much even though she is working 2 jobs as well.

So those 2 times he basically had to sacrifice school for work. And he had to juggle me too and on top of that, i would sometimes get mad because he would fall asleep or be too tired. He works from 4:00am-2:30pm and has school from 6:00pm-10:00pm.. sometimes from 4:00pm-10:00pm.

I know his class is hard. And it's his dream. He's still in love with me from what his mom said. Just that he told me that it wouldn't be fair that i would be putting in a lot of effort into the relationship and he wouldn't be able to do the same for me.

I want him back. I love and care for him deeply. He's an amazing guy. He said that for right now he doesn't want a relationship due to this and it's not his main priority since he has to be the breadwinner and so is school.

What can i do :( ?
I'm embarrassed by my actions by the way :(

11