Honest male responses needed: the most confusing break-up ever?

Alright gentlemen, this girl is in need of your brutal honesty!

I started dating this guy in January. He pursued me very hard, taking me on fun dates and telling how much he wanted to take me off the market. Initially I was hesitant to start dating exclusively having been through the relationship ringer in the last year. After we had been on a couple of dates and he continued to tell me that he wanted to date I finally agreed, feeling that he was a genuine guy who had my best interests in mind. By the end of February , my now boyfriend tells me he MIGHT have to move back to his home town to find work after he graduates in May. At this point we had become very close and he had told me he was in love with me. Within days I could feel him becoming distant even though we are still seeing and talking to each other regularly. By the beginning of March he tells me that he doesn't want to be in a committed relationship because it's not fair to me that he can't give me 100% while his location and career are up in the air. I expressed to him several times that I wanted to continue dating until he had to leave (if he had to leave) and that if he did we would explore our options when it came to that. So we have continued to see each other and date (unofficially) since and I have gone back an forth on getting him to commit to me while he is here. Yesterday I had barely heard from him and days and asked him what was going on. He said that he is in love with me but needs space to figure things out. He told me to go on dates and have fun, and that he'd be happy to take me out occasionally as friends. I made it very clear that I had no intentions of seeing other people, but that if space is what he needed I would give it to him. The truth is, I REALLY want to be with him. The question is, is this guy over me and using moving as an excuse to be non-committal, or should I hold on in hopes that he will realize our relationship is amazing and find a way to make it work?

18

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to pay strict attention to the two things he's said. l) "By the beginning of March he tells me that he doesn't want to be in a committed relationship because it's not fair to me that he can't give me 100% while his location and career are up in the air.
    2) "He said that he is in love with me but needs space to figure things out. He told me to go on dates and have fun, and that he'd be happy to take me out occasionally as friends."
    Both of these spells trouble for you regardless of what you want. I can't say that this guy is completely over you, but he's been trying to make it clear that he doesn't want a girlfriend right now. He may be giving you some excuses and he also may be exaggerating some things. Best for you to fact up to what's happening and let him go for now. Maybe in the near future you can contact him and ask him how things are going. If he's missed you and wants a chance to get back, he'll certainly bring it up. Meantime, be available to go on dates and have fun like he suggested. Good luck!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks for the honest response. I consider myself pretty in tune with the way guys think, and in any other situation I would apply the 30 day no contact rule and let him stew on his decision (not to be cruel, but it works) but the hard part for me is that I worry if I completely ignore him it will give him time to get over what we have instead of wanting to rekindle the relationship. I don't plan on contacting him (he asked for space) but what do I do when he contacts me? He sent me two snaps last night the latter saying goodnight. I didn't respond to either, but when that inevitable text comes do I ignore him completely, respond callously, or continue to act like the girl he's been dating for the last three months?

• You made some good points. I say it's best to take it as it comes rather than some preplanned plan. If you truly love this guy then go ahead and respond to the things he does, but with caution until you can really see how things are going and which direction. I wouldn't ignore him if I were you. If he says, "Goodnight" say the same back. If the inevitable text comes as you phrased it, respond according to your heart. We all makes mistakes so if you can see he's having a change of heart already, do like you said, " respond callously, continue to act like the girl he's been dating for the last three months, but respond callously". You'll know when he wants to drop you. Until that time comes, be the sweet girl you've always been. Good luck once more. :)