Why is he acting like he doesn't want to be friends?

I dated him for 2 years. We were each other's first loves, but I broke up with him over a year ago because we were at different places and I needed to be single. We stayed good friends, but when he started dating someone else we talked less. He broke up with her recently because he wasn't that into her, and we started talking more often. I saw him for the first time in months a few weeks ago. I could kind of see it in his eyes that he still has some feelings and he tried to hold my hand. Ever since I saw him, he's made no effort to talk to me and when I text him he's very short with his texts. I don't want to date him, but I thought our friendship would go back to normal now that he's single. Why is he being so distant?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• He doesn't want to be your friend. Can't you understand how that would hurt? If he still wants to be with you and you don't want him? How fair is that to try to keep him around? It's not.

• He's happy to be out of his relationship and single, so I know he's not looking to date anyone right now. We were friends before his last relationship, so I don't get why we can't be now.

• Yeah, I see what you mean. It's not that I don't want to date him in the future, but it's just practical in the new few months.

• It may seem most convenient for YOU, to be friends with him. It certainly isn't convenient for him, it's painful. Practicality has no place in this situation. More like empathy and selflessness. Let him go. He's still romantically into you, which means he's not really your 'friend' anyway.