How common is it for a woman to money-grub a divorce, realistically?

I wanna know how common it really is that women are making out like bandits in a divorce? I have seen divorces happen before and heard some stories but it seems like the lawyers are really raking in the cash and that the woman doesn't actually get as much as it seems.

Now I'm not only interested in the successful stories but the unsuccessful ones as well. I want to know how often it is that the woman has money-grubbing intentions and tries really hard to grab the money. I know one woman who sounds really money-grubbing but is not getting her way 100% and when she talks about the judge not approving the amount she wants, her true colors seem to show.

So if you have any stories please share. I just want to know if women trying to use the law for profiting off of an ex-husband is as common and I hear about. I'm aware that the "highest earner" loses but seeing as most women out there marry higher income earning men, I rarely (but have!) heard of men getting a little out of a divorce.

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents have been divorced since I was thirteen so most of my life. they were married for 21 years and with my dad being so obsessed with his job as a lawyer they ended up calling it quits. My mom and dad didn't even have to go to court because they were able to agree how much money was appropriate for my mother to get from him every month seeing that she was a stay at home mother and quit her job to take care of my sister and I while he worked. now I am sure that rarely happens. I was always interested in the law, but never became a lawyer because I didn't want to be married to my job. The best thing any person could do for them selves man or women who has money is get a prenup before you get married so the other person can't go after their money. once you get married you can't then get a prenup. A prenup covers your ass even when the marriage fails. Growing up as a kid I heard story's from my father that not everyone wants to get a prenup so when the marriage fails its who ever makes more money is the person to pays child support if children are involved. When kids are involved most times it goes to court and the judge decides how much that person should pay in child support it is purely based on the persons income and is paid by the person who is not taking custody of the children. in most situations the mother has custody and the father gets the kids on the weekends which is then called partial custody. I don't know the exact numbers but lets say you make $2,000 a month child support for two kids in PA will cost you $350 a month. I know that from dating a guy who had to pay and that's roughly what he was making and paying for child support every month. Hope this helped.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I've seen posts about prenups on here and a lot of the women said they would be offended if a guy asked for a prenup. Would this be a warning sign that she just wanted to profit if the marriage didn't work. Some women also said no problem.

• I think it should be a huge red flag if someone said no to a prenup if it was a guy or girl who was asking.

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of the times they do it out of spite, not true economic need. I read not long ago a story about a woman winning the dog custody, only to put him down after because she couldn't take care of it.

Men need to understand that marriage isn't the next step in a relationship. It's a contract in which most of us have very little to gain and everything to lose.

"Until death do us apart" is long-gone concept. Learn, adapt, and don't get married.

1|0
    1|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The question resides if this is true for the 49% that actually succeed. There's something a bit... bitter. Off.

• that poor doggy :'( why on earth would she not just give him to a loving family or her ex? Did the dog really have to die to save her pride?

• I definitely see the spite. My mother worked for a guy was in a divorce where they both were poisoning their kids against each other. I also know 1 woman who is fighting relentlessly for more money in child support while the husband's finding a low paying job to avoid paying anything.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• This is a really sexist question. Most married women I know work or raise the man's children. Why should they be left with nothing. It's not money grubbing. Most of the men I dated earned less than me, so if wed married and divorced they would e taken me to the cleaners then. It works both ways.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mostly it's spite and getting even if a man is leaving her and was cheating. Men have to own their share here, and it's really easy to AVOID this, just don't be duplicitous.

If you are honest, you avoid a messy divorce and making an enemy out of someone who was married to you and probably did love you. If you want out, don't cheat. Just talk it out and then leave. Don't go having sex with her best friend, your secretary, and humiliate her and your children. But many men try to pull off having their cake and eating it too. It rarely works lol

On the other hand, sure there are trashy women who are bitter and will marry a man simply because he has money.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my parents case it's my dad that's doing the money grubbing! When someone's in the military there's this clause where if you've been married for 20+ years you are entitled to half of the military person's retirement. My dad waited until him and my mom had been married for 20 years and 4 months before he moved out.. and yeah he'll call and be like "I wanna talk to the kids" just to see about when my mom's going to retire. So, it's not just women out there although I will say that the court system is s hell of a lot more likely to listen to kids saying the man was a terrible father than saying the woman is a terrible mother. hopefully, when it comes down to it this is what helps my mom keep her money because my dad SUCKS. He makes $60k a year and me and my sister don't get shit and my mom doesn't want to charge child support (which I wouldn't be able to get anything for anyway since I'm over 18, but my sister could and I don't think they could do child support anyway since they aren't legally divorced since my dad is a complete dick and keeps refusing to sign the paperwork until he gets half of my mom's retirement money) because she thinks if she's nice to him and doesn't charge child support he'll be nicer about not trying to take her retirement money, but that's not going to happen.

Point being it's not only women that are gold diggers. People get yourself a prenup no matter if you're male or female or if you're shit poor like my parents were when they got married. You can still get ripped off

0|0
    0|0
  • My husbands ex wife messed him a around pretty good. He paid for the divorce that she asked for, took all the credit cards and paid them off, and paid off her car even after she remarried! And he did it all willing!

Although she didn't get shit in her second divorce 😂 as bad as it sounds I found some peace in her getting messed around in her second divorce

0|0
    0|0
  • I've seen it happen a few times, but I've seen it not happen more times. But the women who are like this are usually highly visible... nobody really pays attention low key divorces outside of the people involved, for example.

Knowing the character of your partner is a big factor in keeping this from happening. Sometimes people marry for reasons that don't take character into consideration and these people usually end up with the most negative outcomes during their marriages.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• You really have to ask? weather its done for the money or for spite most states are female friendly for divorce and custody. I have heard of a few friendly divorces but not many cause lawyers don't make any money of those.

I lost a farm, large home, business and bank accounts pretty much everything BUT I got to keep my two kids I was poor now but I was still happy! about two years later she blow through it and was wanting to come back I just told her each time I couldn't afford her...lol

0|0
    1|0
  • You know, not very. While many divorces end with some form of monetary gain for the female most relationships do not involve "wealthy and powerful men" and in quite a number because females graduate colleges more than men females make more than men therefore there's no value to the power-grab concept.

It's more common that couples split and it's really a loss for everyone. We just don't look at average couples. I should go find more statistics on this because it's just not as "good" as it sounds for the common man; for the wealthy professional? Oh yeah, but they are gold diggers, an entire name was created for this genre of behavior.

1|0
    0|1
  • 100% common. I mean you didn't think that Anna Nicole Smith loved J. Howard Marshall now, did you?

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes