How common is it for a woman to money-grub a divorce, realistically?

I wanna know how common it really is that women are making out like bandits in a divorce? I have seen divorces happen before and heard some stories but it seems like the lawyers are really raking in the cash and that the woman doesn't actually get as much as it seems.

Now I'm not only interested in the successful stories but the unsuccessful ones as well. I want to know how often it is that the woman has money-grubbing intentions and tries really hard to grab the money. I know one woman who sounds really money-grubbing but is not getting her way 100% and when she talks about the judge not approving the amount she wants, her true colors seem to show.

So if you have any stories please share. I just want to know if women trying to use the law for profiting off of an ex-husband is as common and I hear about. I'm aware that the "highest earner" loses but seeing as most women out there marry higher income earning men, I rarely (but have!) heard of men getting a little out of a divorce.

64

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents have been divorced since I was thirteen so most of my life. they were married for 21 years and with my dad being so obsessed with his job as a lawyer they ended up calling it quits. My mom and dad didn't even have to go to court because they were able to agree how much money was appropriate for my mother to get from him every month seeing that she was a stay at home mother and quit her job to take care of my sister and I while he worked. now I am sure that rarely happens. I was always interested in the law, but never became a lawyer because I didn't want to be married to my job. The best thing any person could do for them selves man or women who has money is get a prenup before you get married so the other person can't go after their money. once you get married you can't then get a prenup. A prenup covers your ass even when the marriage fails. Growing up as a kid I heard story's from my father that not everyone wants to get a prenup so when the marriage fails its who ever makes more money is the person to pays child support if children are involved. When kids are involved most times it goes to court and the judge decides how much that person should pay in child support it is purely based on the persons income and is paid by the person who is not taking custody of the children. in most situations the mother has custody and the father gets the kids on the weekends which is then called partial custody. I don't know the exact numbers but lets say you make $2,000 a month child support for two kids in PA will cost you $350 a month. I know that from dating a guy who had to pay and that's roughly what he was making and paying for child support every month. Hope this helped.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I've seen posts about prenups on here and a lot of the women said they would be offended if a guy asked for a prenup. Would this be a warning sign that she just wanted to profit if the marriage didn't work. Some women also said no problem.

• I think it should be a huge red flag if someone said no to a prenup if it was a guy or girl who was asking.

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of the times they do it out of spite, not true economic need. I read not long ago a story about a woman winning the dog custody, only to put him down after because she couldn't take care of it.

Men need to understand that marriage isn't the next step in a relationship. It's a contract in which most of us have very little to gain and everything to lose.

"Until death do us apart" is long-gone concept. Learn, adapt, and don't get married.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The question resides if this is true for the 49% that actually succeed. There's something a bit... bitter. Off.

• that poor doggy :'( why on earth would she not just give him to a loving family or her ex? Did the dog really have to die to save her pride?

• I definitely see the spite. My mother worked for a guy was in a divorce where they both were poisoning their kids against each other. I also know 1 woman who is fighting relentlessly for more money in child support while the husband's finding a low paying job to avoid paying anything.