Why would he ask me how my dating life is going right before he broke up with me?

We'd been dating about 2 months, and then he began to pull away after things got more serious. He expressed that he cared about me a great deal, and I said the same to him. Then suddenly, he pulled back. I never asked for exclusivity, by the way. We always understood we were still seeing other people.

Our last date was after a short break which I initiated. We had a great time. He asked me how my dating life was going.
I said I'd had some dates from time to time. He said the same was true for him.
Then he asked me if there was anyone "special". I replied no. He said the same was true for him.

At the end of the date, he said he didn't have feelings for me in the romantic sense, so he wanted to break things off. I was confused because things had been very romantic from the beginning, and he even expressed the fact that he was into monogamy and wasn't even crazy about the whole dating process.

He wants to "be in touch", but suggested we should take some time without contact before doing so. He didn't suggest we "just be friends" immediately following the break up, and I feel that was respectful of him.

QUESTIONS: Why did he ask how my dating life was going right before he broke up with me? Why the mixed signals? Is he scared and conflicted about his feelings for me and that's why he said he had NO feelings? Why did he suddenly decide to break things off? Is texting each other after a period of no contact a good idea? Why would he want to stay in touch to begin with?

He went through a painful divorce a few years ago and I think he may not be over his ex.

Thanks for reading this!

197

Most Helpful Guy

• It seems that it's hard for him to break up with you as well.
    Though from the looks of it, he's found someone./

• What gives you the impression it could be another woman? Could it be fear or trust issues because he's been burned? Or do you agree with the some of the girls' comments that he may not think I'm into him, so he broke it off? Thanks for considering these questions.

• Or maybe you are right, and he has found another person and I'm on the back burner. Maybe he asked if I had found anyone special to determine if he had a window of opportunity to see how things would go with the new chick knowing I'd probably still be available. Perhaps my best course of action now would be to make myself Unavailable when he decides to "check in". Ugh, maybe I should just buy some cats, learn to knit and become a spinster ;)