Can you be dumped for being too nice?

I was 'seeing' this girl who had relatively recently come out of a really abusive relationship that ended up with her arm getting broken when her husband forced a door shut on her arm and pushed his feet against it. I treated her the way a girl should be and her kids with the same respect I give my own. I was so good with the kids she broke down one night and sobbed asking me to stop being so nice. Then I got dumped less than a week later.

Was this guilt because she was using me?

Or fear of it all going wrong again?
What she meant by too nice is that she left the refuge with nothing except the clothes on her back. I bought the oldest a school uniform. I am not wealthy, but couldn't see any child go without just cos her dad is useless and I love her mum to bits!

35

Most Helpful Girl

• The first thing that comes to my mind is : you're too nice with her kids and you forget it is about her. And, she might feel like you thing she's a fragile little thing that need to be protected. She might need to feel that she is a strong woman...but I'm just assuming here

• Its hard when the 3 youngest ones run into your arms the minute you turn up lol

• Oh yes.. the kind of thing I did with the kids was to plan a mothers day surprise for their mum, shed not had a decent one for years. The kids felt as though they had done something for mum and mum felt special.

• You really are a nice man. Honestly, this previous relationship must have messed her up.