Do you think its a good idea to make cheating (in relationships) illegal?

What are your thoughts? And reasons why please.

Especially those of you in relationships

• Its a good idea
    Vote A
  • Nah I don't think this would work
    Vote B
  • Not really sure?
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• In marriages, not in just relationships.

Marriage is a legal agreement and I think if you cheat on your spouse (and they have proof) they should be entitled to damages such as compensation for money they've spent on you or money that their family put into the wedding. It's imperfect of course but something along those lines.

6|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I was about to write somethign similar, I think in a way its already ilegal on marriages. And it would be really hard to proof in court that you were in a relationship at the time of the cheating...

• Show All
    • You're welcome!

• Completely agree on the marriage thing, but not the relationship thing. Relationship is not a socially acknowledged contract unless the couple lived together for a long time. So it should not be penalized as such.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Slap a big ol' "A" on their chests and make them subject to public ridicule!!!

No, I'm just joking.

I don't think their should be any legal repercussions, though. But I do think that cheaters are not cool people, and are not worth good people's time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I. Dont understand the question. Cheating is the most disgusting thing you can do in a relationship. It destroys all trust in your partner. There is never an excuse for it. It shows that person to just be a piece of garbage.

3|0
    0|0
  • Adultry is illegal in a number of states that isn't a criminal offence but has legal ramifications as well as social including excommunication and it hasn't done much. the only thing that works is trust

0|1
    0|0
  • In a "relationship"? That's a terrible idea. We've have so many ditched girlfriends/boyfriends claiming such, it would be horrible.

In marriage, making it something like a traffic citation, where you pay a fine? Sure, fine idea.

2|0
    0|0
    • Like a parking ticket? Park yah car in the wrong space and a ticket gets slapped on yah ass !

• the main point should be that cheating would make equitable division of property in the following divorce be a bit more skewed in favor of who did not cheat.

• Relationships don't have legally binding contracts, so lawyers will always be able to snake a way out of this law by saying "there was no binding relationship"...due to lack of legally binding paperwork.

Sounds good on paperwork though...but in the real world lawyers will shred this law to pieces and make it irrelevant.

0|0
    0|0
    • yep, that would fall under statute of frauds, unenforceable contract unless in writing.

• depends... if the girl im dating is playing with my emotions and making me feel like shit even after a "talk" then i would 100% cheat on her. Why? cuz she deserves it. Simple. If the other person deserves to be cheated on then i am ok with it. Nothing really to it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ooh how interesting. I think in marriage maybe. In relationships, not sure. If he or she is going to cheat they will do so regardless, and how would you define relationship and cheating? I would rather have and give loyalty purely because no one could compare to the girl I was with, beside illegality often adds to the excitement.

0|0
    0|0
  • Adultery was illegal for millennia in the past but suction walls or archaic people are going to cheat anyway it's a fact of life, and a cheater can either be forgiven or shunned it is their problem not society's problem

0|0
    0|0
  • people smoke pot even though it's illegal, drink and drive, text and drive, steal from grocery stores and participate in any number of illegal activities.

I don't think it would work necessarily and I think it would be pathetic that we'd have to make a law to regulate this morality.

Plus a potential problem. Let's say a couple has decided they have an open relationship, but then one partner gets upset, jealous or changes their mind. Then how would you regulate that? Is it still illegal even though they had a oral understanding? do you create a law to address open relationships?

0|0
    0|0
  • but how will you decide it ie, who is cheating who.. Both of them have their own reasons for doing it..

0|0
    0|0
  • meant to click B

if cheating was illegal then the prisons and penitentiaries would be 10x more overcrowded then they already are. besides what is Considered "cheating" varies from Relationship to relationship some couples are more open while others have the No p*rn, no hanging out with the opposite sex rules strictly enforced. besides adding the odd bit of taboo would only increase the cheating rates same as the legal drinking age...do you honestly think the main reason teenagers drink and get stoned at parties is mostly for the fun of it? no half of the reason is they flipping the bird to the system.

finally there are countries where cheating is illegal, but there the penalty is death by stoning.

0|0
    0|0
  • its not putting anybody else in harms way. why should it be illegal

0|0
    1|0
    • it can actually if you cheat and give your partner an STI you contracted from cheating

• yea! it should help boost the ecomony

0|0
    0|0
  • there always will be loopholes

0|0
    0|0
  • What would the punishment be? Prison, or a fine? In order to imprison or fine someone, you need to use force against them... e. g. send men with guns to arrest them and lock them in a cage... this extreme violence is disproportionate to the crime. Cheating is legally and conceptually most akin to a breach of contract. We don't imprison people for breach of contract (unless it led negligently to more specific harm), but it isn't right to breach a contract either.

0|0
    0|0
  • How can you make it illegal? Will people really report it and be able to prove it? I don't think so.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 17

• My personal opinion is that people shouldn't need a law to be decent human beings and show respect to someone they are in a relationship with. I think if someone is that type of person willing to betray someone they "love" or "care about" ("s because I don't buy one truly feels that way if they are willing to be shady and disrespectful like that) they are going to do what THEY want. They don't have consideration for someone else's feelings when they choose to take those actions. They rationalize them and only care about their own desires.

People break laws all of the time and if its something this personal it's not going to be as easily regulated and enforced. I also don't think the system needs to be wasting time on that when there are serious crimes going on that need to be handled and much more horrendous people that need to be caught for their crimes.

Imagine some pedophile or murderer getting away with a crime because people were caught up in a he said she said case of someone cheating. Which brings me to another point, its going to be hard to prove a lot of the time.

I am in a relationship and every relationship before this one I've been cheated on. I don't think they should just get away freely and I don't condone such conniving, shady, disrespectful, selfish behavior... but I don't think it should be illegal either.
    There's only so much we can do, we cannot control everyone else, only ourselves and our own decisions.

0|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't work in a relationship, but I could see this working in a marriage if there's sufficient proof.

0|0
    0|0
  • No governments have no place in a private personal relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • I know it's no good to be a cheater, but if it does happen, it's not really anyone's business except for you, the person who cheated, and the person he/she cheated on you with. Js

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a free person for goodness sake! I'm okay with the government controlling almost every aspect of my life, but the second they're trying to intervene in my private life, I'm out of the country

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm in my first year of law school, and we actually talked about this kind of thing a little! like why can't your mom sue you for not calling her? in a civil suit, you just need to show that someone breached a duty to you, which caused you a lot of harm. so your mom could be like, my kid breached her duty to call me and now my heart is broken!

well... the legal system just can't take on those kinds of claims. there would be WAY too many of them, and it would be almost impossible to sort out some measure of who owes what to whom. courts can only run as far as our tax dollars...$$

0|0
    0|0
  • No, as bad as I hate cheating it's a choice we all have, no one is forced to cheat it's willing. It would fail and wouldn't work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nopes people will always do what they want even if it's illegal , like smoking pot

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't agree with cheating, but making it illegal is ridiculous.

1|0
    0|0
  • How would you ever police that sort of thing? like a he said she said? lol...

0|0
    0|0
  • the poll answers aren't going to be accurate since some people think that it shouldn't be illegal, which is not in the poll answers. lol anyways, I don't think it should be illegal because since people are allowed to do it, even though they shouldn't, it shows the other partner that perhaps their marriage or relationship was a mistake. By making it illegal, it's stopping people from doing it not because they love their partner, but because they wouldn't want to go to jail or something, so really in a sense the whole marriage turns to a lie whereas since people are allowed to do it, it lets the other one know if it was a lie or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • No because cheating is more of a moral issue

2|1
    0|0
  • in some states [in the U.S], it already is.

0|0
    0|0
  • a good idea

0|0
    0|0
  • What the actual fuck? You can't make cheating illegal! You might as well shoot the freedom eagle in the head. I hate cheating, and if you cheat on me I kill you (no not literally, calm the fuck down) but you can't make cheating illegal, jesus christ thats some stupid shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • no? prisons are already overflowing, and if it got settled without jail time-what would it be? a fine? considering partners tend to share money that's be dumb. there are places where the partner gets to beat you, if possible to death, if you cheat-but that sounds pretty barbaric.

1|0
    0|0
  • lol as hurtful as cheating is in a relationship, making it illegal would never happen let alone hold up in court.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes