I sort of cheated on my girlfriend. what do i do?

We were broken up for about a day and I was pissed off so I went out, got drunk and made out with a girl. I was the one who broke up with her but the next day I regretted all of it. She wants to get back together but she doesn't know I made out with a girl that night. I am still in love with her. Should I tell her I made out with a girl that night or get back with her? She would be devastated if she found out. We could just stay broken up without her ever knowing but I feel that wouldn't be doing her justice. I want to be with her but I don't know if I can after what I did. Should I let her go without telling her? She is kind of confused as to why we are broken up. This all happened after we broke up but I feel like if I tell her what happened she could have closure. It's also really embarrassing to admit...
we have been together for two years so its a very serious relationship. I have no problem if i tell her and she doesn't want to get back together. But if I tell her and she wants to stay I know it will be different and i don't want that.

55

Most Helpful Girl

• you were clearly uninterested in getting back together. that affected your decision to hook up with someone else at lightning speed after you broke up. if i were the girl, i would point blank ask a guy who i'd been broken up with or on a break with if he had been with anyone else. if he acts shady about it, then we're done. if it's not important to you to be with her, then why should she want to be with you. picture this: when you guys broke up, she was thinking about how she wanted you back and tried to get you back a day later. when you broke up, you went out and hooked up with someone new asap. who do you think cares more?

• after reading your update, you shouldn't be with her at all. you don't give a shit if she doesn't want to get back together and you don't want to deal with her hurt feelings because of what you did. why are you even bothering to ask this question then?

• that you know her and we don't is a given. you came online to ask for advice. i am listening. clearly you can't be with her anymore. your question was if you should tell her or not. my advice is that you should.

• meant to say "said it 20 times". not "done." whoops

Most Helpful Guy

• You didn't cheat, but it's possible that she could think that you just broke up with her so that you'd be free and clear to make out with this other girl. Either way, you should put your cards on the table. It's probably going to come out at some point anyway, because, even if they aren't friends, they might share a mutual friend and, with social media, you never know what could happen. It's better to be honest. She might act differently at first, but will probably let it go eventually. And, after she let's it go, you'll have earned honestly points (for lack of a better phrase) and she'll be more likely to be honest with you in the future (maybe not about a situation like this per se, but in any situation that someone would usually omit because it might make the other angry).

In the end, you did what you did, and should face the consequences for your actions. (Again, not saying you cheated because you didn't. But there is a consequence, good or bad, to everything we do.) Man up.